Does it matter if altruism is "natural"?

Norsemaiden

barbarian
Dec 12, 2005
Britain
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/27/AR2007052701056.html

Does "morality" rely upon not being explainable in physical terms?

Is this the same with "love"? And "hate"?

What about the subversion of natural processes, by outside influences, so that instead of feeling or behaving in the way best suited to our genetic advantage ("naturally") a person is influenced to behave in a way that does not benefit them but benefits someone exploiting them? Is the altruism, love or hate, and other behaviour by such a person still "natural"?

Where do religious people want to imagine such things as "altruism" or "love" come from? Is it from our "spirit" which is not connected to our physical body, and not influenced by hormones or genes? (And which there is evidence for existence of).

Personally I don't consider it natural (unless you really bastardize the word 'altruism' to mean little more than 'considerate'), but I don't consider it 'otherworldly', it's like depression or cancer to me, we can see why it would come about, but it's not natural in the sense of 'inherent', it isn't part of the health of us as a single organism to me.

Altruism as defined is not "not natural" so much as non-existent. There is no such thing as "unselfishness" and I think the findings of the study contradict that childish idea. Better to admit pragmatism and decision-making based upon mutual benefits and gain (or the alleviation of our own pain and suffering)

Self interest is the natural inclination of all individuals working or living within a community, whether it is dressed up in eternalism or not. On the other hand, "greed" could be considered un-natural as well as unethical because it represents a perversion of motivation wherein we become a danger to ourselves and others.

Altruism as defined is not "not natural" so much as non-existent. There is no such thing as "unselfishness" and I think the findings of the study contradict that childish idea. Better to admit pragmatism and decision-making based upon mutual benefits and gain (or the alleviation of our own pain and suffering)

Hmm, if you consider anything with motive to benefit oneself as "selfish" than I suppose you're right. Though, I think terms should have meaning put to them realistically. Unselfishness doesn't necessarily have to mean that oneself doesn't benefit, but rather that you are consciously putting others above yourself. Subconsciously you are still motivated to do such for others because of the personal satisfaction it brings, but that doesn't make it selfish; selfishness and selflessness are conscious behaviors. One benefits the individual concretely, the other more abstractly... deeply.

There is no such thing as “putting someone else above yourself.”

To be sure, this might be an ennobling thought, but unnecessary. What would be a situation where this might actually be true? On a minor level, one does good because of the mutual gratification that it brings. A more extreme situation: One risks his life, even suffers, first out of his own sense of patriotism, duty and honor -- values that have been instilled in him for years and that if abandoned would generate shame and guilt (from within and without). If not for self-interest a person is never moved into such actions to begin with.

Altruism DOES exist.

In the previous section I noted that the “urge to love,” when we consider it in a personal sense, is likely to originate in specific areas of the brain which are concerned with interpersonal relations. As we saw in Part 1 , this urgemay be influenced by chemicals. In this part, I explore the question: Why do we behave well towards others in an evolutionary sense.
A good “system” for the investigation of evolutionary reason for the “urge to love” is the phenomenon of altruism that has been extensively studied by scientists. Darwinian concept of survival of the fittest, i.e. organisms best adapted to their environment and able to leave the largest number of offsprings, is undoubtedly the core stone of modern evolutionary theory.However, animals often behave in ways that seems to endanger the individual and decrease its chance of surviving and passing on its genes in reproduction. There is a significant amount of fascinating behavioral studies done in altruistic behavior of animals. A working definition of altruism can be:
ALTRUISM: a behavior that decreases the reproductive success of one organism to the benefit of another
http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/berman/P4S1.htm

Did you make it down to where that page address the "selfish gene" theory? This is not the Disney Channel, folks.

A biological imperative, fairly common in SWARMS is not a refutation of what I posited in the case of evolved human beings.

What about suicide bombers?

If this was a joke it went right past my bat...

There is no such thing as “putting someone else above yourself.”
QUOTE]

What about suicide bombers?

giving up all the suffering of life -to win 70 virgins- is selfless???? hardly!

in any case, I think pathology isn't the best example of selflessness.

and
"A working definition of altruism can be:
ALTRUISM: a behavior that decreases the reproductive success of one organism to the benefit of another."

personally I find this a poor working definition since we can never so well factor in all such things in a real situation as to determine it. I give you a dollar for the bus, well I can't spend that dollar towards a drink for a slut at a club, but perhaps I'm not later attacked by a bitter poor fella who might take my life... you really cannot honestly claim to know what decreases some future reproductive success.
Can such minor things not be altruistic because we're incapable of calculating its status? That doesn't sound fair. So why would it only be such cut and dry "giving up your life for others" which counts as altruism? that seems like an extremely invalid demarkation.
And personally I don't find it a worthwhile definition to be called altruistic if I sacrifice myself to get what I want (like saving the child I've invested so much in) just because getting what I want results in poor subjective reproductive consequences.

giving up all the suffering of life -to win 70 virgins- is selfless???? hardly!

in any case, I think pathology isn't the best example of selflessness.

and
"A working definition of altruism can be:
ALTRUISM: a behavior that decreases the reproductive success of one organism to the benefit of another."

personally I find this a poor working definition since we can never so well factor in all such things in a real situation as to determine it. I give you a dollar for the bus, well I can't spend that dollar towards a drink for a slut at a club, but perhaps I'm not later attacked by a bitter poor fella who might take my life... you really cannot honestly claim to know what decreases some future reproductive success.
Can such minor things not be altruistic because we're incapable of calculating its status? That doesn't sound fair. So why would it only be such cut and dry "giving up your life for others" which counts as altruism? that seems like an extremely invalid demarkation.
And personally I don't find it a worthwhile definition to be called altruistic if I sacrifice myself to get what I want (like saving the child I've invested so much in) just because getting what I want results in poor subjective reproductive consequences.

I also have problems with the definition given since someone who is infertile for whatever reason may still act selflessly to help someone else who may or may not be infertile.

Altruism is a product of the selfish gene when exhibited by wild animals and humans with their wild instincts intact (getting rare). But not every creature has the gene (or genes) for altruism. It is a strategy in game theory - whether to be altruistic or exploitative. Some creatures, both as a species or within a species do not have the gene for altruism and they are in the perfect postition to behave exploitatively. In humans such people are psychopathic.

Because the psychopathic cheat can gain advantage over the altruist, the only evolutinary stable strategy for altruists is to be reciprocally altruistic. This means that the human, or animal attempts to be altruistic to another that they feel will repay them in some way rather than exploit them. However if the other person is their offspring, there is no need for reciprocity since it is reward enough that they carry the parent's genes and should hopefully keep the lineage going. Similarly an old man of a tribe may help any young female, for eg, because she has enough genetically in common with him.

It is now known that humans can differ genetically by up to 1%, which means that now we are as diverse from some others as it used to be thought we are from chimps.

I take the point about a suicide bomber who believes he will gain virgins in a future life. But I am sure there are brave people who absolutely do not believe in any afterlife but would attack an enemy in the knowledge of certain death, to save other people they care about. I hope I am one of them.

In many species a mother will take on impossible odds to defend her offspring and this should be common in humans also.

If any among us does not have the gene for altruism, perhaps what I have written will baffle them. It is not a thought-process they can emphasise with.

fuckin server goes down every time I go to reply!!

Altruism is a product of the selfish gene when exhibited by wild animals and humans with their wild instincts intact (getting rare). But not every creature has the gene (or genes) for altruism. It is a strategy in game theory - whether to be altruistic or exploitative. Some creatures, both as a species or within a species do not have the gene for altruism and they are in the perfect postition to behave exploitatively. In humans such people are psychopathic.
a gene for altruism? Personally I don't believe in that any more than a gene for religion or a gene for hating black people, or a gene for fighting valiantly for one's own nation.

I don't know if you have any evidence that some people are innately incapable of altruism, or innately disposed to it, in other words, that if two such opposite people were raised in the other's environment (maybe one loved and educated and taught to express themselves, the other beaten and molested and uneducated locked up in a room with nothing to entertain themselves with but plucking the wings off flies) they would actually grow up to express the same conduct, as if their social environment wasn't from whence they learned how to behave---what traits which they're capable of to actual use as if to their survival advantage.

if the other person is their offspring, there is no need for reciprocity since it is reward enough that they carry the parent's genes and should hopefully keep the lineage going.
evolutionarily speaking. but a parent does these (extremely scare quoted) "selfless things" for their child (the child they selfishly wanted for themselves in the fuckin first place) because they essentially need to. Hell I'll "selflessly" invest more money in an investment hoping for it not to go under, since I've invested so much that a little more sacrifice is worth it, because I don't want to feel the great loss to myself---my selfish interest motivating the behavior---if I do lose. There's nothing selfless about that, any more than you'd call me selfless for buying hot girls alcoholic drinks, it's just something I might need to spend money on to get what I want.

I take the point about a suicide bomber who believes he will gain virgins in a future life. But I am sure there are brave people who absolutely do not believe in any afterlife but would attack an enemy in the knowledge of certain death, to save other people they care about. I hope I am one of them.
I agree, but that is why I employ a different concept to "reproductive success" for the considerations of our behavior. I dont think if I went to war I would be singing "Don't care if I die, I die for the crowds" (Thronar - Grimnor Valora, great song), I'd be saying 'I'm fighting, I'm hoping not to die, I'm working this soldier job because I need money to survive, I am good at this, I enjoy this more than being a manwhore or butler, and if I don't, I might not be able to enjoy all the luxuries of the society my economic success affords me'. If I became a cop it would be not because I'm puting myself aside for the good of others, but because I can do what's good for me, both in having a safe society, being able to protect myself, having colleagues and friends I could trust, and economically of course. You could praise me as a soldier or cop for leading a selfless life, for risking my own reproduction toward the benefit of others, but I can tell you as an individual those are not the motives I am aware of. What you say may be true of you, but it would be a lie if I claimed to be doing such things selflessly, and I doubt I'm missing a gene which would have me do it biologically rather than cognitively, and I do doubt that if you do such things and deny self-beneficial motives, or put it in the context of "I must be doing it because my body wants me to" it is because you have some gene which is more active in you than it is in me, that causal rather than motive explanation just doesn't fly with me.

In many species a mother will take on impossible odds to defend her offspring and this should be common in humans also.
indeed, and if I had invested my life, if all I cared about was my artwork, I might risk my life to protect it from being destroyed, some 'gene' which has me risk my own survival/reproduction doesn't account for this, and that is why I see it as a poor model.

What is the "selfish" reason why a creature produces offspring?
It should be the gene that is being selfish, not the individual who hopes to get some payback in their egotistic life from so doing. The "selfish gene" does this.

A male Bower Bird will protect its bower, not only because it took so long to construct, but primarily because subconsciously the bird made the bower to attract a female. It was for reproductive reasons. Humans who protect their art should be exhibiting a similar instinct to protect something that increases their chances of successful copulation with a high quality member of the opposite sex. But humans are crazy, so this is often not the case.

This says there are genes for altruism
http://www.world-science.net/exclusives/060529_altruism.htm
For the first time, scientists say they have traced the origin of an “altruism gene,” possibly shedding light on the nagging mystery of how generosity and cooperation evolved.

Richard Dawkins talks of altruism being genetic.

Also
http://www.gnxp.com/MT2/archives/000223.html
We must therefore assume that there is a mixed population of ‘altruists’ and
‘non-altruists’. If altruists confer their benefit on other members of the species at random, altruism will be eliminated. The benefit B will be divided, in the long run, between altruists and non-altruists in proportion to their numbers in the population (or to be precise, the population excluding the particular altruist concerned), while the cost C falls only on the altruists. To enable altruism to survive, there must be some way of concentrating benefits disproportionately on those individuals who carry the genes for the altruistic behaviour.

A male Bower Bird will protect its bower, not only because it took so long to construct, but primarily because subconsciously the bird made the bower to attract a female. It was for reproductive reasons. Humans who protect their art should be exhibiting a similar instinct to protect something that increases their chances of successful copulation with a high quality member of the opposite sex. But humans are crazy, so this is often not the case.

Why is the capacity to intellectualise crazy? We are no longer primal creatures with procreation as a singular aim, we can see and assess these base instincts for what they are, and act contrary to them if we have both the strength and desire.

I think the suggested definition of altruism is a poor one - it effectively makes the term useless in its application to humans. I would suggest altruism, or selflessness, could be used to describe undertakings where the satisfaction of helping others, and the benefits of them leading a better life, are of greater concern than material or direct consequences to the self. A looser, more ethereal link between the action (positive to others) and the reward. The shades of grey are rather numerous, of course ;)

I also think the term 'natural' as used in the initial post, is fairly useless and generally only useful in an attempt to sway opinion without real rational basis. Anything we do is 'natural', I don't see how it can be defined any other way. When you refer to non human entities, ie the environment, the distinction is easier to make - 'as it would be without significant human influence'.

We are basically talking about Psychological Egoism here....

And it has been an age old argument that so-called unselfish actions produce a sense of self-satisfaction in the person who does them. Acting unselfishly makes people feel good about themselves. and it is this state of consciousness that we seek, and desire. Which makes these acts of unselfishness - unselfish only at a subconscious level.

Another point with Altruism, is if we desribe one person's actions as selfish, and another's as unselfish. We have overlooked that in realty, both people are just doing what they WANT to do. If person 'A' gives his money for the cause of famine relief rather than spending it on the movies. Should he be praised for unselfishness when he is only doing what he wants to do?

Personally, and in my humble opinion - people are inherently selfish. If altruism was a natural state, and the 'norm' then we would be seeing people give alot more things up.

Suppose two people are up for the same employment position. If altruism is the natural norm, each person would be trying to give the position to the other candidate.

To me, a true altruistic act would be giving up something that you REALLY want, or want to do - in lieu of something that is far less desirable....

Like giving $300, 000 to charity instead of buying that dream house you have wanted since a child.

people are inherently selfish. If altruism was a natural state, and the 'norm' then we would be seeing people give alot more things up.

mhmm. talking about altruism is really pretty outdated. we may as well be talking about which Greek Gods are the ones that make certain things happen.

some people will risk their liberty or life trying to save the whales... it makes no more sense to talk about this as altruism when they're utterly selfish about all the other things we call problems in the world than to say Hitler was an altruist when he worked toward fixing what he saw as a problem while ignoring all the other causes he could have helped out with. We cover very little ground to make a category of people who 'risk their life for something they care about' given that Bin Laden and Mother Theresa will both be in their company. Unless people want to respect all people who 'risk their life' over people who value protecting their own life over all others things, there is really no reason for such a category to exist... and if we want to do that, it is a fuckin useless category anyway, as bad as talking about which people are voters or sinners or vegetarians.

neither Hitler or Bin Laden's actions are directed positively to those who their actions directly affect though, I think that is a fairly substantial difference... Mother Theresa's actions would have to be considered more in line with what the recipients of her actions actually wanted to happen.

We are basically talking about Psychological Egoism here....

I think it's even simpler than that. It's biological, like taking drugs or having sex. It feels good. And we disconnect our logical functions.

Tell me, have charities ever accomplished anything positive?