Does Opeth have an official taping policy?

Solitary Raven

Enemy Combatant
Dec 14, 2002
Elmhurst, IL
Visit site
SSIA. Certain bands - High on Fire and Mastodon off the top of my head - allow it. All that Mastodon asks is that you provide them a copy. This question applies to both audio/video taping.

I can't get enough Opeth! Plus, it's priceless to have a copy of a show you've attended. I was going to email the band, but I figured I'd run it past you all first. Thanks in advance!!

This is exactly the sort of thing I've asking for a while here, but no-one ever responds. Ozric Tentacles have very much the same policy (although they don't like you taking videos). I'd like to start up a little community of tapers that can record and trade Opeth shows with each other - I'm part of a similar sort of thing on the Ozric's Forum.

If this could happen it could lead to the occasional upload of a show somewhere for a wider audience every now and again. Although, I must stress that I would never try to sell anything I get, nor would I buy it. That's when the bands usually don't agree to taping shows. As long as no profit is made from it then I can't see any harm.

Solitary Raven - if your interested, get in touch with me, maybe we can sort a little start of something? Other people are also more than welcome to join in! (r.castley@btopenworld.com)

This is exactly the sort of thing I've asking for a while here, but no-one ever responds

Probably because no one knows.

You should both email the band and see if you can get their permission to start a little bootleg trading community, I think that would be great!

Yes, I'll have to email the band. :) Let me also stress I have no desire to profit at ALL on any recordings if the band lets this fly. I know I'm opening myself to flames, but I've collected PHiSH shows for years. My tastes run the gamut! This band has allowed open taping (audio) from the start and it hasn't hurt their album sales in the least bit.

Also, look at it from this perspective: What if say, Mikael decides to pack it in and Opeth becomes no more - I'm cringing as I type this. We would have no live representations of Opeth!! It is essential we archive some of these shows for the ages!!!

Of course, this all hinges on whether the band allows it!!

To be continued...

Graveless Soul: email on the way!

We would have no live representations of Opeth!!

Well that's not entirely true. After their last Tour in America (with Nevermore I think) and Europe with Katatonia a load of audio and video bootlegs went up on a server for people to download. A lot of people got them (myself included :D) so we wouldn't be totally screwed if Opeth were to (*gulps*) pack it in.

But still, email them, I can't see what reason Mikael would have for being against this. He'd know surely that it'd only be us extra dedicated fans who seek to acquire the bootlegs anyway for our own use and not to make money off of. Demand for them wouldnt be half as big as ones for, say, 80s Metallica shows or something.

For most of you, this post won't interest you, since you've heard it from me before.
A while ago, me, dubloth and RyanB served this opeth bootleg page (the one that bleakest harvest mentions) that was widely popular with 10 or so audio shows and perhaps 5 video takes. The page is not there anymore because Ryan couldnt host it anymore. Anyway, I asked Mikael about his feeling on bootlegs in general and Opeth bootlegs in particular, and this is what he said:

"Well, I guess that would be to seclude ourselves from the "pack"!
Bootlegs...I love them! Opeth bootlegs, I love them, but want a copy! I have 2 so far! People are selling this shit like crazy and I support that..."

Anyhow, the idea from us was to give something back to the opeth community (particularly the Nectar-list since it has been a living organism for such a long time) and also a chance for people in different parts of the world where concerts with Opeth is a rare thing. When the page was laid to rest, we were hoping that other people would be inspired and continue what was started. Unfortunately, not many people have rare things to share, and in that aspect, the word "trading" becomes elitist. And so far, the Opeth community as I know it, has been a very "giving"-community, and that positive.
/Peter Johansson

If noone has a server or needs any mirrors, i might be able to work something up.. both web site and bandwidth wise.. hearing some live opeth would definitely be a cool experience.. especially since i missed their (probably ONLY EVER) tampa show thanks to that stupid $WE%$#%#( ex girlfriend! :mad: heheh

ok i taped the Dublin show just over a year ago, which is now available at a trader near you (or from me!). Just after I advertised it I got a mail from one of their stage crew (name withheld) asking me for the master minidisk copy ofthe show as the band really liked the show and wanted to hear it. So I posted off the master, and yes, I did get it back in the post, with thanks from all involved as i recall. So I think that goes some way towards answering your question!
john