Does Skolnick play rythm on albums?

DUMPICKLES

New Metal Member
Aug 10, 2012
As the title says, does Alex Skolnick play rythm on albums? Don't assume you know, do you actually know? for years I just assumed that if you had two guitarists (like Metallica) that both play on the albums rythms..only to find out that they don't.

Probably not. In the majority of band cases, the rhythm guitarist does both parts, since he's a master of that role. The leads are then recorded separately.

In Metallica, James does all the rhythm, then he and Kirk do leads. In Anthrax, Scott Ian does all the work. In Slayer, Kerry does it all. That's how it goes. Erik is a solid rhythm player. Even though he has improved and does solos, he's still primarily a rhythm guy.

That's why bands often have to rehearse the hell out of songs before they hit the road. They record them in pieces.

No, I get that completely, hence my original question. Is that the case in Testament? Does Eric do all the rythm in the studio and Alex only does the leads? I was assuming that was the case but never knew for sure with Testament. Those other bands you mentioned I knew.