Does the Guitar Even Matter in a Mix?

I never used to care about the guitar before but lately it kinda dictates the overall tone, not all guitar would match in to an amp, i kinda try to find that perfect match between the two and I guess a lot of pros also do the same in the studio.

I'd agree a great guitarist, say like Jeff Loomis, is just gonna be able to do very well -- record, perform -- on any guitar that is set up well. However, for an exceptional performance one could make the case the quality bears on the setup/tone and that in turn will bring a better performance. Personally, both of my higher end guitars seem to somehow player faster/easier and that in turn drives a more confident and enthusiastic performance with the left hand attack/feel. This in context of soloing, not rhythm.

Here I really think that guitar pickups makes much more difference than the quality of the guitar itself, there are plenty of guitars that sound like shit with stock pickups but after a change of pickups they gain a new life, some guitars we cant even believe how good they can sound with the pickups changing.

Anyway, I believe once you got a guitar at a certain cost, things will not change much. Here in europe and for me a guitar in the 500 euros level it´s already a great guitar, if I pickup a guitar that costs the triple or twice the price I said, the difference will be close to none, I am quite sure about it.

Reactions: Delitzsch
That's not quite been my experience, with all other specs equal a higher end guitar from the same manufacturer I have simply plays better and elicits a better lead performance with leads. Could be mental. Don't think it matters with rhythm stuff.

100% yes. I have two guitars with EMG81s in them that sound completely different. One has a lot of low end and has a grainy tone, the other is the opposite.

Speaking for myself, I have always purchased a guitar with the following criteria and their rough weight in the balance
- 60% feel of the guitar
- 20% quality (tuning stability, built quality)
- 10-15% look
- 5-10% sound

Purists could say I'm dumb, and they are entitled to their opinions, but don't forget that the tone of a guitar comes a lot from the pick-ups, which you can change. Buy a cheap guitar, put new pick-ups, and it's a complete new beast..

Also,I think that you overall tone comes from a lot of different things and the major tone driver is the amp (and cab). So for me, if you like a Dual Rectifier tone, everything that you'll plug into it should be to your liking. Ok yes, slightly different, but still.

And finally, if you add the full mix into the equation, then I honestly think it doesn't matter much how expensive your guitar is.

Oh and : All of this is based on the fact that we're talking about metal music. I think it's a different story for, say, Jazz. I am pretty sure an Al Di Meola album would sound different with a cheap guitar insteaf of his 6000$ PRS.

100% yes. I have two guitars with EMG81s in them that sound completely different. One has a lot of low end and has a grainy tone, the other is the opposite.
That's true, but not what this thread is about.

Take those two guitars. Have someone else record a track with each. Factor in amp, speaker, mic, console, EQ, plugins, ect.

Blindfold you and you wouldn't be able to pick out which guitar was which in the mix or even solo'd. I guarantee it.

Hmm. I've tried recording sections of songs with different guitars on countless occasions to capture different tones and always find a marked difference. Cheaper guitars with upgraded pups can lift the quality a lot but often there is a lack of fullness and definition on cheaper axes compared to a well crafted, quality made instrument.

Hmm. I've tried recording sections of songs with different guitars on countless occasions to capture different tones and always find a marked difference. Cheaper guitars with upgraded pups can lift the quality a lot but often there is a lack of fullness and definition on cheaper axes compared to a well crafted, quality made instrument.
I'll send you a DI guitar track and you tell me if it's my Epiphone or Gibson. I'll spare us the trouble, though. You wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Yep. Save yourself the trouble. I've compared guitars in the studio already. Was just adding my two cents.

I can tell you there is a huge difference between me playing my guitar, or Paul Gilbert playing my guitar. But in a mix, with me playing 2 different guitars? I doubt I could tell which is which.

But it´s only noticeable when guitar plays alone because I doubt that someone can hear the differente in a full mix with tons of processing everywhere.