Doing scores for movies, commercial music, etc...

The Halo series and COD4 probably have my favorites scores of the video games I've played. No MGS4 for me, I'm an XBox360 guy, but I'd be interested to hear the score. From what I've heard of the cut scenes, it should be pretty epic material.

Martin O'Donnel!

Such a beautifull piece this game has, the piano relaxes the soul:

http://halo.wikia.com/wiki/Never_Forget

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyDZscyf8lU&feature=related[/ame]

One of the most inspiring moments I've had when listening to a OST (or hearing it while watching the movie for that matter) in a long long time:

It's John Murphy's Sunshine. Very good movie, very good OST. This version is slightly altered from the movie version, as it contains mainly the non-FX parts of the composition. The original can be found on YouTube as well (search for "The surface of the sun") and has some crazy left-right panning and weird effects.

John Murphy did the OSTs for 28 Days/Weeks later too...

Last edited by a moderator:
I write some orchestral stuff à la Kurt Wimmer (listen to Equilibrium OST), I just need to arrange and record it... :rolleyes:
i have the Equilibrium OST... was composed by Klaus Badelt. Was the Wimmer stuff on a various artist version of the soundtrack, or?

One of the most inspiring moments I've had when listening to a OST (or hearing it while watching the movie for that matter) in a long long time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8BNN6y11Js&feature=iv&annotation_id=event_362405

It's John Murphy's Sunshine. Very good movie, very good OST. This version is slightly altered from the movie version, as it contains mainly the non-FX parts of the composition. The original can be found on YouTube as well (search for "The surface of the sun") and has some crazy left-right panning and weird effects.

John Murphy did the OSTs for 28 Days/Weeks later too...
yeah, just got Sunshine here recently... very cool stuff. done with the band Underworld, who have done collaborative work with a few other film composers.

My Favorite style these days is the mixture between organic and electronic sound "manipulation/mangling/sequencing/layering" and orchestral.

Yep, same here. Have you heard Harry Gregson-Williams (Wikipedia)? His work on "Deja Vu" is awesome.
i'll have to check that out... i definitely dig G-W's stuff that i've heard so far.

you should def look into Paul Haslinger... especially his Death Race score... and this, which i've mentioned here before:

these guys should be doing horror and sci-fi genre films... Film scoring is their goal and the reason they write and produce their albums i think... very cool stuff. check it out, but skip the first track on their myspace. click the album cover to go there.

Re: Halo Music, I dunno, it's good, but I also think it's a little uninspired and overrated, much like the games ;) Other games with incredible music are Okami and Deus Ex.

EDIT: Also, Mass Effect has some really fantastic moments (specifically the theme during the opening credits, god is that epic), but the majority are unfortunately quite forgettable IMO (especially the planet themes; really, to me the only good music is in the cutscenes)

I would love to do that sort of work in the future personally.

I have written songs for TV such as CSI but that was years ago and not nearly as cool as it would be to do a movie score or something.

I probably listen to movie scores and classical music more than any other style. I'm a HUGE Danny Elfman fan (even his Oingo Boingo stuff was brilliant). It's definitely a dream of mine to compose scores for movies.

Also a John Carpenter fan here. The music he came up for movies such as the original Halloween, Escape from NY, Christine, and the Prince of Darkness added such another dimension to the films.

iagree.gif

I've had the Halloween main theme as a phone signal since '97. ;)

AH, haven't played any of 'em (well, except for like half an hour of FFX), but what I've heard of the music I always dug