Don't just listen to metal, PLAY with your metal!

One thing that's always annoyed me about the snobs who listen to alternative types of music is that they act like it's all "creative" and "different", but then when I listen to a whole album it's all at the same tempo(usually slow). The "different" part is that it doesn't have hooks. Rather, the singer-songwriter is exploring his feelings or something. Which requires the music to be slow and hookless.:)

I was in a jazz band back in High School, and we played some rendition of Frosty The Snowman that is by far and away the fastest song I've ever had to play. Tempo was up in the mid-upper 200's bpm with a swing feel. And if I had to vote for a type of music with the most diversity in tempos then I'll throw both my hands up for Classical music (and I don't mean just the Classical era, I mean Classical, Baroque, Romantic, etc. etc. all lumped into one).

Yeah, AudioSurf is pretty fun. What's actually the interesting part is seeing how the processing engine interprets songs vs. how you interpret them. It can sort of reveal new angles to them that you haven't heard before. Because I don't think it's purely "tempo" that it works off, it's "intensity", which is some combination of tempo, volume, and who knows what else.

The best part is that if you try something from Ulver's 'Nattens Madrigal', it completely fucks up the game and it won't even play!

Neil

Well, enlighten me. What kind of music is faster than metal? What kind of music features more unpredictable time changes than prog?

Faster than metal? Gabber and Speedcore without a doubt.
More unpredictable? Various forms of electronic non-dance music...even some of the drum'n'bass and "IDM" *cough* stuff.

There are lots of experimental genres out there that are not prog.

Btw..what's so good about "fast" music anyway?

The same thing that's good about slow music. It's just a tempo. A song isn't good or bad just because it's fast or slow. I've never understood why even many metal artists these days think it's somehow passe to do speedy songs. They act as if having LESS variance in the tempos makes it more creative somehow.