Don't Know if you guys are into this guy

NSGUITAR

Oct 26, 2009
But I love Shane Gibson.

I used to do some online lessons with him a couple of years ago, and I remember him showing me this little diddy.
For you guitar players, this is a good picking lesson.. And if you incorporate this into your style, it can REALLY sculpt your picking into a more fluent feel.
It's funny as fuck.

If you've not heard of him... SHANE GIBSON!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEc3hGjjLZ4&feature=related[/ame]

Yes I do have the tabs. I can post them if you'd like.

Chris, yes and that's pretty much what it feels like when playing it. It's smoothed my playing 100%

Honestly his playing doesn't impress me at all. Sure he's fast, but there's no emotion or feel to his playing at all. Playing fast doesn't make you a good player, but that's just my personal tastes I guess. I know some kids enjoy people that play for just exercise.

OT: for the right-hand, it looks like he's utilizing the hybrid picking technique that Frank Gambale taught in his old REH video tape.

The right-hand technique starts at about 2 minutes into this video:

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly his playing doesn't impress me at all. Sure he's fast, but there's no emotion or feel to his playing at all. Playing fast doesn't make you a good player, but that's just my personal tastes I guess. I know some kids enjoy people that play for just exercise.

OT: for the right-hand, it looks like he's utilizing the hybrid picking technique that Frank Gambale taught in his old REH video tape.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJRZE6M_Y-M

This again....:rolleyes:. Every single time a video of this kind is posted...

Well, after watching Shane Gibson again I can say that I will never be that good, and; I am not sure I have any interest in being that good at this stage in my playing.

I am 33 and have been playing since I was about 10 or so, and I am NOWHERE NEAR that good. Then again, I taught myself, never learned proper technique, etc. and honestly, it would be really difficult to unlearn everything I've taught myself.

It is very impressive though - I can't get over the hand movements - I tried it last night and it was clumsy to say the least :lol:.

Well, after watching Shane Gibson again I can say that I will never be that good, and; I am not sure I have any interest in being that good at this stage in my playing.

I am 33 and have been playing since I was about 10 or so, and I am NOWHERE NEAR that good. Then again, I taught myself, never learned proper technique, etc. and honestly, it would be really difficult to unlearn everything I've taught myself.

It is very impressive though - I can't get over the hand movements - I tried it last night and it was clumsy to say the least :lol:.

Same situation here...even the same age.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJRZE6M_Y-M
I totally agree that his playing is emotionless. But nontheless it's cool!

I've learned from him for technical aspects. Frank is also a great player as well! Some of his stuff is ridiculous and untouchable.

The majority of my influence lately come from pat metheny and Guthrie Govan.. Guthrie is amazing.

I totally agree that his playing is emotionless. But nontheless it's cool!

I've learned from him for technical aspects. Frank is also a great player as well! Some of his stuff is ridiculous and untouchable.

The majority of my influence lately come from pat metheny and Guthrie Govan.. Guthrie is amazing.

I agree. Shane does have great technique and playing fast is cool... but just not my cup of tea as far as recreational listening.

Guthrie Govan is absolutely incredible! It's hard to think of another player that has mastered so many styles and can play each one with ease as well as Guthrie. I'm pissed I still can't find a physical copy of "Erotic Cakes" anywhere. I've been on his boards and emailed his own label and even they don't have any. So I've been stuck with the 192kbps mp3s for over a year now. Damn it. :yell: I just picked up Guthrie's creative guitar 1 and 2 books to help give me some teaching ideas with my students. He's an amazing teacher and these books are fantastic.

I would also recommend any of Frank Gambale's videos or books to anyone wanting to know more about increasing speed by improving technique, or just learning more about guitar theory. They're amazing, but not for the faint of heart. :D