Doom/Death, real everything. My band's Full Length

DanLights

Santa Hat Forever
So after working it all by myself, reaching out to a couple good friends for their initial thoughts, now that I feel I'm near what I want it to sound like but not there just yet, I feel it's time to put it up here to hopefully hear some honest opinions and ideas from the experienced minds around here. Any info you desire, just ask.

This is my band Ad Intra, and this is the opening song to our upcoming debut full length. The song is called "The Wind That Brings Life" and it's about dogs that die run over by cars or some shit like that.

I've been referencing to some modern Doom/Death stuff such as Daylight Dies's "Dismantling Devotion", Swallow the Sun's "New Moon" (Both Bogren mixes, obviously a reference), My Dying Bride's "Songs of Darkness, Words of Light" and a few others. Not very similar amongst themselves, but my aim has not been to mimic certain aspects of those mixes, more just to keep me in perspective and not sound like the "odd one out" when comparing different mixes in similar genres.

Ok you got me, everything is recorded real, but the drum shells are heavily replaced because the original recorded sound, well, sounded like crap.

Kthxbye!

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/954292/Ad Intra Stuff/Inside us all/Quick test.mp3

Edit: Link has been updated with latest mix.

The clean vocals that are sung together with some screams that comes in about 2.35 (a woman singing I think) are desperately in need of tuning.

The clean vocals that are sung together with some screams that comes in about 2.35 (a woman singing I think) are desperately in need of tuning.

Yeah, she's not really a singer, she's still working on that, but you're right I will have to fix it for the recording. There are very few of these parts in the album, so I guess just fixing the tuning will work, it's supposed to be background vocals.

the snare definitely sounds overly replaced for this genre

I tried several different samples with the drummer as the final judge and we decided to go with this one, the original one was tuned too low and sounded like crap (I didn't record it) so sampling was the way to go. I do like the sound of it though, replaced or not.

Thanks for your opinions so far, any comments on the mix or any other aspects are appreciated!

All is working well less the snare, it´s very very dry, use some reverb, room mics because the dry snare is killing the vibe IMO. He is right, she is out of tune.

I like the overal sound of the mix, guitars are very nice, perfect for this genre I think. Also the bass guitar sounds nice and warm, I love that. One thing I don't like is the snare. It sounds too crushed and flat for me. Some hits sound a bit nasty, like the one on 1:33 e.g., and I think that might get worse when it's mastered louder. I'm not sure but maybe it would help to hi-pass the snare a little more. Also, the lady's singing is a bit dry sounding and sounds a bit like it's on top of the mix instead of in. It would be very cool if this was doubled and panned some for a more stereo sound, but of course it could be fixed with some roomy reverb as well. These are the things I would work on first myself, but for the rest it's very nice, keep up the good work.

The bass is awesome! really sticks out the guitars yet builds up the lowend power, hehe.
Vocals do sound a little dark, but that might be wanted? I would prefer them a little bit more up front.
Keys and Guitars fit well together. Drums could have some boomier toms though. Especially in slower fills toms are my favourite with more lowend!

Overall a very nice mix, it fits the music perfectly.