Double Kick Pedals

I never actually heard of eliminators breaking...
But it's a common fact that the footboard of the DW5000 series break really easy!!!
attachment.php

attachment.php

Now there's something I know a thing or two about.....

Pedals are a feel thing, go into a music store that stocks them all and try them all out, you might be suprised with the outcome and walk out of the door with a cheapie that works for you :) Speed also comes from the foot in combination WITH the pedals, not so much the pedals.

However, as far as build goes and physics, I swear by direct drive pedals. I use Axis A longboards. I've had them since 2004 and had no major problems and they've had quite a lot of (ab)use to resist. Only one nut got loose and had to get fixed but that's it. I've played all other pedals out there (except for the new Trick Detonators and the new Gibraltars with the holes in the pedalboards) and here's my list as far as MY personal preference to playability:

1: Axis A Longboards, they just feel amazingly smooth, very solid construction, you just know they've put a lot of thought in the design but theres still room for improvement. As far as the technical claims regarding problems with the equipment, theres a few components that Axis should improve one being the drive shaft on their double pedals. Its the most smoothest in town and has a great feel but their NON durability is notorious, I've seen guys strip these by 2 in a year.

2: Pearl Eliminator, these pedals might feel a bit flimsy at first but they're really solid. I think the biggest plus about these is that they have interchangeable cams which means you can change their feel 1,2,3. The fact you change the belt to chain makes it another plus. They just feel fairly light and if I were on a smaller budget and didnt have Axis I would seriously check these out... AND BUILD SOME LONGBOARDS FOR IT :heh:

3: DW5000, not kidding. These might be notorious for their footboard breaks but the design is a lovechild from the old Camco pedals who were notorious for their smooth feeling (especially in that era when all pedals had freaky designs and not very fast playability) and squeeky springs :lol: I've had the chance to play these pedals a couple times and I was flying high. I think a longboard version with a high hingle like the Axis' would be excellent. They have one longboardish type of model but thats more like a Ludwig Speedking

4: Iron Cobra, belt version. I have the powerglide chains and they've served me well for many years. These are RELYABLE pedals, meaning you can beat the living crap out of them and they'll probably still stand. Not that anyone deliberately would do that, except for your ex girlfriends.... I've modded my IC double pedal 2 singles and they're working fine. Adjustability on these babies is fine too. Note, if you're buying these get the heavy duty springs for them as the stock springs are a little flimsy.

Now, I could go on into the 10's and 20's regarding other pedals but I think I covered the main 4 options I would suggest.

Theres a new kid on the block though, Trick Detonators who basically have resolved most of the Axis problems people whine about (for instance: independent footboard height without adjusting beater angle) and introduced new adjustability. Same with the Axis pedals ,these aren't made for everyone especially I've you've been used to pedals that offer great resistance during the stroke like IC's, for instance. Whether these pedals work for you or not is a matter of trying out for yourself, some people can work with these from day one, I had to adjust to them for the better part of a year.

Technically, Axis and Trick's are kings and the others follow. ALUMINIUM CNC FOR THE W1N FUCK DIE CASTS PARTS!!! :headbang:

In case you were wondering who uses what heres a list:

Axis: Derek Roddy, Jan Axel "Hellhammer" Von Blomberg
Trick: John Lonstreth, Tony Laureano
DW5000: I have no idea to be honest these are mainly for mainstream players
IC: Nils Fjellstrom, Dave Lombardo and some others I cant think of right now
Eliminators belt: Flo Mounier

Underline message: pedals are like sticks, what works for others might not work for you. Also, try to ditch the 'best for metal' line and you'll sound 10x as mature. Theres no such thing as best for all, only best for you.

My drummer replaced his Iron Cobras with Axis Longboards. Completely different ballpark than IC's. IMO the left pedal doesnt have as much punch as the right, but I'm sure this can be attributed to the fact that the right foot has more of a direct contact with the bass skin, then the left does over on the other side of the snare. It may be adjustable, too, but I stopped bothering messing with it. It comes with a plethora of different alan wrenches. It's got so many parts, even if something can be adjusted, I'm just like o_O

(If anyone here knows how to tighten up the left beater, let me know. Share your Axis Longboard secrets, please).

Anyways, he says that he has to focus so much harder on playing with the longboards, that when he goes to another pedal (IE Cobras, or Elims) he just flies without a thought.

See, hes soooo under-rated. Hes up with Lombardo in my opinion.

Ok, so that's 220 bpm at tops. All the other chaps I mentioned go WAY faster than that on an average day.

Not bashing Van Williams though, I appreciate him for being a good musician, not the fastest in town :worship:

ssharp: that says more about your drummer than the actual pedals, I've never had problems getting equal strokes. I personally think Axis' will clean up your technique immensely because they're so responsive while with other (heavier) pedals you can basically bounce the pedalboard up and down instead of doing the actual strokes yourself. Try adjusting the variable drive lever if its an A, if its an X (or an A for that matter) place the beater further back.

Has he said he cant go over 220? Plus Derek Roddy and George Kollias and the likes do death metal. Van is not just fast with the feet but hes damn amazing in everything else! (drums of course :) )

I wouldnt mind going 220 ;)

To be honest, I dont really care how fast anyone can go on double kicks its about using it sparingly, tight and WELL-placed. Like I said earlier, he's still awesome. I dont think Nevermore are speeddevils either so you might just be right but sofar, I can keep up fairly well with him :erk:

Oh and pepper your balls even more:

I'm a vegetarian.

Our drummer uses IC's and likes them, but he's had a good long string of screws stripping or breaking lately on the shaft that goes to the 2nd footboard (the one NOT on the kick drum).

I've heard a lot of good stuff about the Trick pedals, but I'd only heard of the 1-V's, not the Detonators...Them bitches are $$$$.

*EDIT*

The Detonators ARE the 1-V's (aka 1-V Detonators).

I remember seeing a review for this crazy looking pedal that people were absolutely going nuts over a while back. I can't for the life of me remember what it was.

isnt the best solution simply to get a second kick drum?

yes. then you have the skin directly in front of both of your feet.

R-Stuur said:
that says more about your drummer than the actual pedals, I've never had problems getting equal strokes. I personally think Axis' will clean up your technique immensely because they're so responsive while with other (heavier) pedals you can basically bounce the pedalboard up and down instead of doing the actual strokes yourself. Try adjusting the variable drive lever if its an A, if its an X (or an A for that matter) place the beater further back.

you are right about the bounce thing. the axis pedals are a lot more involved. i think thats why the other pedals seem a tad more effortless, when making the switch. ill try what you suggested.

another issue with the axis pedals, is the wide variety of alan wrench sizes.. seems like they'd want to use one uniform size, instead of the 4+ it comes with. on another side note, axis' customer service was very helpful when i spoke to them the one time i did.

Don't think a good pedal will make you play fast, be prepared to work your ass off. Control takes alot of effort to master. get a nice set of ankle weights too, they force you to play with your feet in the proper position.

on another Axis note: After couple of months on the Axis longboards i can't go back to a chain drive because i can feel the slop in the chain and i get annoyed.

I own this:

http://www.janushardware.com/product_ergopedal.html (the double version not the single)

Way, way better than an iron cobra. More options better feel (IMO).

Yeah those are good too. They're heavy as fuck though :erk: I've carried one around once. They look like they're solid. I dont know what Mapex's parts support is on the pedals, that's something to take into consideration too, how easy it is to get replacement parts for your pedals because you'll have to need this service most likely if it gets a lot of use.