Downloading Music

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a person like me, downloading is beneficial to both the artist and industry.

I download and explore what bands are out there, and therefore am opened up to hundreds of more bands, and subsequently I am easily more likely to buy more albums because I am more aware of quality artists and albums.

Without downloading there goes 95% of the bands I listen to, and a good portion of the albums I own because I wouldn't have even heard of the bands that I do now. And with poor availability, and high costs for albums I am not willing to risk $25-30 on a cd just to check it out.

well excuse me if it it only came up as one file, even when i tried to play it.how do i download winRAR?

Search for winRAR, download, install...
And think of the rar file as a folder with many files inside. You just have to unzip the file to get the mp3s, noob :)

Also, there's a number of good sites that specialize in rar album downloads. Many of which are Russian sites, which you'd have to register for (as easy as making an account on UM) but in Russian and it's totally worth it.

Search for winRAR, download, install...
And think of the rar file as a folder with many files inside. You just have to unzip the file to get the mp3s, noob :)

Also, there's a number of good sites that specialize in rar album downloads. Many of which are Russian sites, which you'd have to register for (as easy as making an account on UM) but in Russian and it's totally worth it.

thanks. ill try later.

Or just find rar downloads. For example go to google and type in the artist and album you want followed by rar or rapidshare or ifolder or megaupload etc.

ie:
Darkthrone "Transilvanian Hunger" rapidshare
I find Google Blog Search works better for that technique.

Any music I download nowadays pretty much tends to come from Oink (an invite-only Bittorrent tracker strictly for music). They have a very diverse and wide selection of stuff and it's all high quality rips which is always the main thing that irritated me about using things like Direct Connect (half the people using it apparently have no fucking clue how to rip a CD at decent quality or even bother to rip it securely).

That said, anyone who doesn't attempt as much as possible to buy the stuff they downloaded and liked is a dick and doesn't deserve the music in the first place.

And online music stores will always be dumb until they drastically cut the prices in which case I might consider using them for things that I enjoy but don't really care strongly enough about to shell out $15 to own a physical copy of the album (and also only if there's no DRM nonsense attached). Spending the same on a bunch of files as it would cost to just buy/order the actual CD with booklet and all is crazy.

I don't want to turn this into another generic circle-jerk of a "pirating music: good or bad?" debate, but someone said earlier, without buying albums you kill the artist's music? This is only true to a certain degree. I think it goes without saying that most people, if they really like the band/album after downloading, will probably buy it... especially those of us into underground metal. Even record labels in the underground get greedy though. We're still paying the same price for CDs as people were 20 years ago, and most artist's don't make a living off the shit returns they get when sales break even, and the studios have collected their due. Both of the aforementioned are rip-offs in every sense of the word. Even more when you start paying a dollar per song. Unless of course, you're like Wayne Static, who, I quote, would "drink piss for money"; musicians probably benefit as much, if not more, if you go out and support their tours. Sometimes you get their music cheaper there too!

So if you're put off by downloading music... try not to think of it in terms of money so much. Just consider that these people put a lot of work into an album, and the least you can do is buy one of their CDs as appreciation for their work.

Anyways, I really don't own a lot of albums, a lot of my stuff is digital, legal or not, but I'm working on a nice stack of CDs. I just don't like downloading entire albums though. I'll go for about a third of it, to give me even more incentive to buy it.

Downloading is wrong.

Without people buying albums, then the artist can't continue.

You may think you are supporting the artist by downloading, but you are just killing their music.

i have to have the albums cus i like to look at the album art and stuff like that.
i use limewire, and try to buy the albums i like afterward, cus comon why would you buy an album you havnt heard any songs from, thats why you should download, to sample it.

about what to use, lime wire is good, for rarer stuff i usually can find it on utorrent

Status
Not open for further replies.