DPP tour setlist

sinerchris

Everythin is never enough
Jan 7, 2002
Back in Flushing, NY for good!
so i was sniffing around the official NW board...and there seems to be bits of info in the Finnish press that the band has said about the DPP tour setlist. I've come to this conclusion:

Come Cover Me
Wishmaster
Sacrament of Wilderness
all songs from DPP except for Master Passion Greed, Heart I Once Had, and Sahara
Ever Dream
Bless the Child
While Your Lips are Still Red
Sleeping Sun

I think I've got it pretty solid here, give or take 1 or 2 songs. and not in this order of course.

thoughts?:err:

Hmm just by counting the songs (the ones you listed plus 2 less than all of dpp), that would be 18 songs. That would be a huge set list. I suppose it's not entirely out of the realm of possible (considering the End of an Era concert was 18 songs, but that was something special), but your usual/average set list here is 15 songs, so my first reaction is to wonder if that isn't too much.

I am inclined to believe Wishmaster will be there because of an interview i saw yesterday where Anette was talking about her take on singing Wishmaster. In the same interview she also commented about her take on singing Sleeping Sun. So i'd say we are likely to see both of those.

Given that her demo was Ever Dream, it would make sense that we'd see that as well. Fans will want to hear the song that first turned the band on to her, so i would consider that fairly likely.

As for DPP, it would certainly make sense to go extremely heavy from that album, but you don't usually get more than 5 or 6 songs from the same/new album in a bands set. Surely we'll see Amaranth, Bye Bye Beautiful, probably Eva - though i wouldn't be surprised if that was left out. I would believe Sahara too, because Tuomas has said that with Sahara, DPP "starts to get really interesting". I'd expect to see either The Islander or Last of the Wilds but probably not both (considering both are similar, both have a Celtic vibe). Perhaps also 7 Days To The Wolves. Beyond that, who can say?

Of course this is all supposition on my part anyway.

EDIT: Oh btw, those interviews i mentioned, in case you haven't seen them are at Faceculture and can be found here.

^I would be pretty suprised if Eva was left out. I mean, it's Anette's first song with Nightwish so I'd say it has to be played. It's actually perfect for a silent moment in their gig.

I'm also pretty curious how Anette's voice sounds on those Nightwish' songs.

ooh glad theyre playing WYLASR! <3

Disappointed theres no Dead Boy's Poem.

Scared to hear Anneke sing Sacrament of Wilderness and Wishmaster >.< verrrry scared

Yeah, and I think that "While Your Lips Are Still Red" would be the song they choose to play this time around when Anette is taking hers.

Well, I guess with "Wishmaster" and "Sacrament of Wilderness", we will get to hear once and for all if Anette has somewhat of the operatic tendencies to carry this off.

Someone in Nightwish camp said at the forum months ago that "Come Cover Me" was definitely on the setlist, so that's no surprise to me.

Don't know about how the setlist will build up for the first leg(s) of the tour, but in several interviews lately they have said that they've been practising 10 songs from DPP and another 15 or 20 old songs (varies in different interviews) from the previous CDs. Also Tuomas has said that the setlist will include about 50/50 new and old material.

Their normal full setlist has been made to fill 90 mins, encores included, which consisting of 12 - 15 songs. If they'll play The Poet and The Pendulum it will leave space for about 10 more songs. Also Nightwish haven't been known to change their setlist from gig to gig, rather only making changes between legs of the tour.

I will know more next week, after the "Natuvissyset"-gig :p at the CD-release party. :headbang:

A 90-min setlist is a kind of standard for headliners in metal concerts, openers usually get to play anything between 15 mins and an hour. A kind of standard, I said! :p

In these snippets taken from the interview with Tuomas on YleX radio last Thursday, Sept 20th he reveals some details about their upcoming setlist. Looks to me that they are changing their setlist policy and adding more variation to it between gigs.

I posted translation of the full interview at Nw.com board *here*

---------------------------------------

I: Tell us a little about rehearsals. What and how have been rehearsed? Have you been doing full sets at Akun Tehdas or have you been sticking to some particular songs?

T: We have about 30 songs rehearsed now, so we can have a little more variation to setlist than on previous tour when we played the same songs most of the time. Just to get our own interest alive, we have picked older material and maybe a few more unconventional songs, and from the new CD we have rehearsed all but three songs. In the beginnig we went through the songs one by one but now we have been doing the gig setlist and some extra on top of it. Also practiced changes and things, there will be also acoustic guitars taken along which will cause some more adjusting. Small fixing here and there, then we're deciding the right moments for bombs and effects and all that.

I: OK, we'll return later to that. But can you reveal a single bad moment, has there occurred a particular big obstacle at rehearsals, if any. Can you tell us anything.

T: Well, there really hasn't been anyhting... if we talk about Anette's performance, she's been able to clear everything we have given to her starting from our old songs to the new ones. It's bee more like we guys got to get the band into such a shape that Anette doesn't need to feel ashamed of us. [laughs]
Seriously, if we take the fourth song from the new CD, Cadence Of Her Last Breath, it's been quite troublesome, I mean it may sound easy, but getting the groove in it has taken an awful number of working hours.

I: One could imagine that while your old catalog is long enough, including not-so-easy songs, smacking an insaenly huge epos like DPP on top of it; I can honestly say that my imagination isn't going to figure out how the palette will be made into working shape, but congratulations for the fact that it works!

T: Like I said, we're having fun, and it works allright. For example the CD's opening track The Poet And The Pendulum, we are going to play it live, at least somehow crawl through it. We will try. Like I said it takes a few gigs before we can see if we're getting into aything with this. But I think we will.

------------------------------------------

I: Lets talk about the setlist for the tour. You said the band has rehearsed 30 songs for the tour with this new lineup. How will the basic setlist be? What will be the rate between old and new songs?

T: Mmm... maybe 60/40 between old and new, a little more older than new, but in order to keep our own interest up, we will play quite many new songs, too. But I'm very irritated by the idea of a band going on tour with a new CD and first play it from the beginnig to end and then three biggest old hits for the encore. [laughs] Yeah, everyone will do their thing, but I find a suitable mix of old and new better.

I: Will Sleeping Sun be included in the setlist?

T: Yes Sleeping Sun will be included. A couple of evergreens we will play no more can be named: Phantom Of The Opera and Over The Hills And Far Away. The latter became kind of forced play for us on the last legs of Once tour so why would we take it back, after all it is a cover version.

The first of Nightwish's three scheduled rehearsal-gigs was played last night, Sept 22. 2007 at the Rock Cafe in Tallinn, Estonia under the alias "Nachtwasser". Here is the setlist and review by nick "the problematique" taken from Nw.com. She was there and wrote this review as soon as she got home. Thanks to her for an excellent review! :headbang:

The "Nactwasser" setlist Sept 22. 2007 at the Rock Cafe, Tallinn, Estonia :
1. Intro + Bye Bye Beautiful
2. Cadence Of Her Last Breath
-Anette speak -
3. Dark Chest Of Wonders
4. Ever Dream
- Marco speak -
5. Come Cover Me / Dead To The World
6. Amaranth / Whoever Brings The Night
- Anette speak -
7. Sacrament Of Wilderness
8. The Islander
9. The Poet And The Pendulum
10. She Is My Sin / The Siren
- Anette speak -
11. Sahara
12. Sleeping Sun
- Marco speak -
13. Slaying the Dreamer
14. Nemo
- Anette & Marco speak -
17. Wish I Had An Angel

Outro: Blood Diamond

Review poested originally by "the problematique" 23 Sep 2007, 02:40 at Nw.com board
AAAALright, I'll get to the point right away:

ANETTE ROCKS SO MUCH. I mean, I thought she would not have a stage presence, because, you know, first concert and all. But she was moving around all the time, REALLY REALLY getting into the songs, interacting with the audience during the songs and rocking along. She made eye contact with basically everyone in the first rows! During some song she looked at me for a sec while singing and I put my both thumbs up and mouthed "you rock!!!" and she bowed a little :D That was so cute.

ANYWAY!! She was really fantastic, I mean, I had high hopes but she was even more than I had hoped for. What was weird was that I thought old songs sounded much better than the new ones. The new ones sounded a bit insecure. Anyway, you will be BLOWN AWAY by her rendition of Come Cover Me and She is my Sin. She was uberfantastic in Eva and EVER DREAM and Wishmaster and the Islander! She really did add a totally new touch to Wishmaster, I really enjoyed it. They have a new cool intro for it too.

TPATP - what can I say? Brilliant! In one part that song which had really sad lyrics (won't post them because there are ppl who still don't want to be spoiled :D), Anette really seemed like bursting into tears any second, she was SO much into the song. She was into every song actually! She really felt the lyrics and interpreted them very well. The beginning of Eva (until the verse that starts "mocked by man..") it was just Tuomas and Anette together, Anette sitting on the drum podium (in front of the drums, not behind them ofcourse, lol) and Tuomas behind the keyboards (naturally), no one else. I have a video of that but the quality is shiiiite.

Slaying the Dreamer was SO cool, the song really fits her voice, AND YOU SHOULD HEAR HER DO THE AAAAAHHHH-s IN THE END OF THE SONG! She really sang from her heart, eyes closed 'n all. On the contrary to pacius' opinion, I think Sleeping Sun rocked. Her vocals were stunning on that one aswell. Especially the "aaahhh"-s before the guitar solo. I just stood there with my jaw down to the floor! BBB was alright, the sound was so messed up I didnt hear Anette at all though.

Cadence was great, she encouraged the crowd to jump along and everything. Sahara was gooooood. The speech before Sahara went (roughly) like that:
Anette: "Aaahhh... It's so warm in here"
Marco: "Yeah it indeed is quite warm!"
Anette: Marco, tell me, have you ever been to the desert?
Marco: *some totally indecipherable speech about desers and then:* And now we'll take you to a real one!

Nemo really suits Anettes voice, and she sings "Nemo sailing home, Nemo letting go" until the end of the song, like the whole ending. That was new.
Amaranth wasn't as cool as I had hoped for it to be, it seemed a bit slower than the original version. But hey, it was good nevertheless. DCOW was good, nothing too special about it (or atleast I don't remember anything about it because there was some drunk man behind me trying to um.. climb over me to get closer to Anette).

During almost every song she walked over to Marco/Jukka/Emppu/Tuomas and rocked with them, with a smile on of course :D She interacted with the guys very much, and they were all smiling all the time, and it was good to see. VERY good to see!

After the last song ended, every band guy hugged Anette one by one and they all had a wiiiiiiiide smile on, and they congratulated her and patter her and she was beaming with happiness, really. Then the lights went out and they pointed a spotlight on her and the crowd ROARED and clapped so loud that I really thought I was gonna lose my hearing! She mouthed 'thank you, thank you, thank youuu' and bowed.

Then, Marco was drinking vodka, of course, and Anette walked over. Marco offered her the bottle, she took a sip and made a really funny face, haha. Then Marco gave her a bottle of water and she took a sip from it and was back to normal again :D Then they all held eachothers hand, bowed several times, then someone took lots of pictures of them with the crowd on the background. And then Emppu threw his picks into the crowd and Anette waved at us several times and then they left, all still waving at us.

What can I say, Nightwish are BACK and as good as ever, if not better :D If I wasn't a so called "Anetteholic" until tonight, then now I certainly am. It's impossible not to like her, really.
I have two pics of her from that night, both are shitty. And the photos do her no justice, actually, she is a lost more prettier IRL:

edit: Jesus. I think I should've calmed down before writing that um.. 'review'

I uploaded the pics to photobucket:
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c298/gra...ens/Pilt103.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c298/gra...ens/Pilt101.jpg
http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c298/gra...ens/Pilt102.jpg

Thaks for posting the review. I've been fretting a bit wondering whether I would like annette's take on the old songs. I feel a lot better about buying those tickets for the London gig. I'm trying to drag my best friend from work plus a coupleof guys I know as well.

St. Enigma- helpful as always!:worship:

gotta do this, sorry...

Estonia gig:

1. Intro + Bye Bye Beautiful
2. Cadence Of Her Last Breath
-Anette speak -
3. Dark Chest Of Wonders
4. Ever Dream
- Marco speak -
5. Come Cover Me / Dead To The World
6. Amaranth / Whoever Brings The Night
- Anette speak -
7. Sacrament Of Wilderness
8. The Islander
9. The Poet And The Pendulum
10. She Is My Sin / The Siren
- Anette speak -
11. Sahara
12. Sleeping Sun
- Marco speak -
13. Slaying the Dreamer
14. Nemo
- Anette & Marco speak -
17. Wish I Had An Angel

Outro: Blood Diamond

my predictions:

Come Cover Me - check!
Wishmaster - check!
Sacrament of Wilderness - check!
all songs from DPP except for Master Passion Greed, Heart I Once Had, and Sahara - well...no last of wilds, 7 days, or meadows of H...but oh well i was close!
Ever Dream - check!
Bless the Child - i was wrong :Smug:
While Your Lips are Still Red - i was wrong
Sleeping Sun - check!

oh well...i'll pay myself on the back!

Here's to them changing it up a little bit!!