Dragonforce - Inhumane Rampage

Lol. Joke over. Powers is a good mate of mine and I fancied giving him a wind up when I was bored.
I have no interest in Power Metal whatsoever, but when Powers played me "Brothers of Metal" I couldnt help but feel the urge to wear very little and oil myself up.
The only drawback is I can't seem to change my name from Burning Churches to Laidz.

It's tough to compare the progressive genre with power metal, since both styles adhere to a different principle.

Progressive music wants to consistently create fresh and mind-blowing music, in which the listener appreciates the creative song writing and technical skills of the musicians, whereas power metal...well, power metal just wants to exist, play some riffs that are sometimes unabashed Maiden rip-offs, and occasionally progress as musicians. But I still love it. Rhapsody, Lost Horizon, Edguy, Iron Savior, Stratovarius, Nocturnal Rites, Freedom Call, Gamma Ray – glorious music!

Acknowledge these differences, and you may be able to enjoy power metal!

This does not work for genres outside of metal and progressive rock, though; emo, rap, metalcore, and all those other genres really suck. There's nothing to appreciate in that music.

Parochial? Yes. Do I care? No.

I have one album with Symphony X..."The odyssey" which I listened to and actually liked. Before hearing it I really thought I'd have to flog it to some poor bastard, but I've kept it in my collection. Good musicians but not really what I listen to on a regular basis.

Cheers
Mike

I second that. I thought the odyessy was just something some pretentious fool put out there to try an impress people with their skill. I was dissapointed with it and have listened to it a couple of times. Not my cuppa tea. Its frustrating that im recommended shit music.

What the hell?!?! Sorry Mike, but I must say that I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum. The Oddyssey is actually one of my favorite albums (ever) and Michael Romeo is definitely one of my favorite guitarists. I listen to it very often.

And affinityband...you...hurt my feelings! :( (but not in an emo kind of way)

- I defend Symphony X to the death (I mean, they are in my top 5 along with Opeth... it's a little dissapointing to see not many Opethians like them...)

I have one album with Symphony X..."The odyssey" which I listened to and actually liked. Before hearing it I really thought I'd have to flog it to some poor bastard, but I've kept it in my collection. Good musicians but not really what I listen to on a regular basis.

Cheers
Mike

The odyssey is a good album (their latest) but I much prefer their earlier stuff like V:- The Mythology suites (brillant concept album about Atlantis) and The divine wings of tradegy. I would recommend checking these out as they are both amazing albums!

Tubbs:- Symphony X would be in my top 5 as well, Opeth being no. 1 and The Beatles being 2nd

yeah, my fav is definitely divine wings of tragedy...though, of course, it does get cheesey at times 'pharoahs coming for you, gods of the nile rise to strike you down' or something like that....but 'of sins and shadows' 'out of ashes' 'Candlelight Fantasia' and 'the eyes of medusa' are great trracks IMO...though the intro to 'out of ashes' makes me think of a circus..

and I'm laughing at the fact that basically no one in this topic knows what emo is....judging form the posts.

i guess its the same thing with alot of people thinking bands like trivium, atreyu, and random metalcore and nu-metal bands are real metal.

Mikael Åkerfeldt said:

Cheers
Mike

Symphony X is one of my favourite bands. If The Odyssey hit you even slightly, I suggest you to get "The Divine Wings of Tragedy" and "V". Especially TDWOT is amazing, the singing melodies are out of this world. Both of those albums are total masterpieces IMO

haven't touched symphony X w/a 39 and-a-half foot pole and I plan on keeping it that way. :Spam: