Dream Evil - The Book of Heavy Metal

tedvanfrehley

Your Favorite Uncle
May 28, 2003
the bluegrass state
Visit site
Wow! i dunno if there's already been a thread on this one but what an amazing album! Greeno sent me a copy a while back and I'm ashamed to say I just got to listen to it in it's entireity today. Thanks, Greeno! This thing is excellent. You guys and gals HAVE to check this out if you haven't yet. A masterpiece. Everything you love about metal is in here.

I have one question, though, and this is not meant to put diehard Dream Evil fans into a fit...but I have never heard them before.

Are these guys kinda like "the Darkness" of metal? They just seem to be putting so much effort into sounding like a classic metal band that I wonder if it is partly in fun? either way I don't care...I think this album rules...I just wonder, not knowing much about them, if they are trying to be Judas Priest or if it just coincidentally comes off that way? I hope this doesn't sound condescending to them because it's not....I just wonder what they're all about.

Just listen to the lyrics and you'll find out that they aren't that serious. You should listen to a song from their erlier albums called Made of metal, I'm so fucking metal and so is my wife.......absolutly hilarious.

It's just a band that want to have some fun.

I got a review copy & and I'm just lucky they didn't screw me out of $17.98...
I like their other two records better. Great riffs on Book, but it didn't get me, like the other two... From what I have heard the bonus DVD is the highlight of this release...

Aethyrs said:
Just listen to the lyrics and you'll find out that they aren't that serious. You should listen to a song from their erlier albums called Made of metal, I'm so fucking metal and so is my wife.......absolutly hilarious.

It's just a band that want to have some fun.
Enough said, nothing more to add ;) . Even if it's on my top 20 of 2004, I still like more the previous one, especially the debut whih was the freshest thing in years.
Surely they like to be cheesy as can be, but unlike some other band discussed nowdays in the forum, they don't believe shit about this. Like Aethyrs said is just fun, and I recommend people to check the bonus DVD that comes with the album is really a fun trip and a way to understand better the band.

Sadly guitarrist Gus G., departed the band but thay have found a suitable (according to them) replacement.

@ Sixx: You have to review your distribution channels, I paid $13 for it (DVD version) on The End records, the price your mention is for an imported album at least. o_O

Wyvern said:
@ Sixx: You have to review your distribution channels, I paid $13 for it (DVD version) on The End records, the price your mention is for an imported album at least. o_O
I actually buy froma friend that owns a shop in the area & it is in fact an import version. It's good to buy locally, you need people around, for when you need something. In the end I got a free copy & I'm glad cos' it's not all that...:tickled:
I get stuff from the end from time to time, that's where I got the KD live disc & a couple others in the last few weeks. They are however, limited in what they get. Their prices are good, though. I have found the best place is half.com, you can get all sorts of stuff for close to nothing...

sixxswine said:
In a way, if Edguy & Dream Evil were drowning & I had enough life jackets for one band...:cry:
Let's just say Edguy, would live to record another day...:tickled:
I have only Heard 2 DE songs so far hahaha I'm not exzactly impressed .... from what I have heard Edguy would be getting the jackets for sure!!!!!:loco:

sixxswine said:
In a way, if Edguy & Dream Evil were drowning & I had enough life jackets for one band...:cry:
Let's just say Edguy, would live to record another day...:tickled:
See, in my scheme Tobias and the boys will go to the bottom of the situation :lol:

tedvanfrehley said:
Wow! i dunno if there's already been a thread on this one but what an amazing album!
I was just looking for a thread regarding DE to which I posted the other day, and it appears to be missing.. Hmm.. Maybe another forum?

Anyway, yeah, I do like this album. The lyrics are (forgiveably?) cheesy in many places, but more often than not, the steel hooks sink in deeply.

I probably prefer their debut album overall with BOOK a close second, but one thing that seems undeniable with the current release is that GusG's guitar TEXTURE is just about absolutely perfect on this album. The best of Flemming Rasmussen's(?sp) crunch from early Metallica, but with crisp & clear tone on the melodic passages. Gus knows how to employ harmonic squeals, too, which is always a major plus in my BOOK. Their flare for light-heartedness takes an intersting twist on "No Way," on which they employ the Euro-Ozzy for chorus vocals, and Gus does a brilliant job of sounding like a total hybrid of Randy/Zakk/Jake. Standouts for riff, IMO, are "M.o.M.," "No Way," & the title track, but for general appeal, "Into the Moonlight," "Crusader's Anthem," & "the Mirror" all kill. For Scorpions fans, we have the (elusive since mid-80's) mid-tempo ballad with balls, "Only for the Night," which belongs on a TimeLife 80's hair metal compilation. I usually have to skip past "Let's Make Rock" due to the calcium overload (cheese alert), and the ballad, "Unbreakable Chain," makes me uber-sleepy, and since it's at the caboose, I skip it.

I'm sad to learn GusG is no longer with the band, but I'll be curious to see how they evolve without him.

I was hearing again their brilliant debut "Dragonslayer" and everytiome I hear 'H.M.J' just makes me laugh to death. I'm sure they made it to "mock" Christian metal, but the song actually can be damn good Christian metal :D (although I believe some may not approve all the language in the song :D )

They really liked to have fun from day one, I'm eager to hear their next album (even without Gus G.), Snowy Shaw is a great composer and of course production never fails with Nordstrom at the helm.

baldyboy said:
the whole " i am so fucking metal,and so is my wife"thing makes me piss my pants every time i hear it.puts manowar to shame.cool as fuck.
And that one line may be solely responsible for my lower score given to EVILIZED. Maybe.. I kinda remember that album starting strong but making me sleepy by the midpoint. Anyway, with that one line, followed by the female vocal, "I am his wife!" just pushed me over the edge.. It's not even funny to me. I guess the subtlety of the satire went over my head with that album.

Now, from DRAGON SLAYER, "HMJ" (Heavy Metal Jesus, a romping metal boogie tune like I haven't heard since Holocaust or Picture) & "Heavy Metal in the Night" just kick ass!