Dream Theater copy Circus Maximus in Art Work!

rapidspeed

May 18, 2010
Cyprus
Dream+Theater+why.jpg

Source: Metal Sucks

Wow I can't believe this; Hugh Syme I'm disappointed! :yow:

Hi

Please excuse my broken english. I do my best ;-)
This is a very interesting thread. First of all let me introduce myself.
Im Chris. Im a photographer and artwork designer. I live in the south of France. Im a music addict and I've already worked for bands like Arjen Lucassen's Guilt Machine or Star One, to name only the most metal prog related formations.

I think the new Dream Theater artwork is a pure joke. Awful. It could be only a matter of tastes, yes sure, but also technically, this frontcover is a really bad... It is very possible that the DT's management paid a lot of bucks not for a good artwork but simply to get the Hugh Syme name in the band's booklet.

Anyway, about the Circus Maximus ressemblances. Of course it's obvious but I do not think it is something which was made intentionally. I think both artwork artists used "stock images". In this case, the same stock image. Some guys do not take pictures by themselves and "simply" use royalty free stocks (or pay for it) and then compose a photomanipulation. It seems to be the case here.
It is indeed really surpising to me to see someone like Hugh Syme using stock images.
Im pretty sure he did the DT frontcover in 1 or 2 hour, and get paid A LOT....

Thanks for your patience with my crappy english
Chris

My website :
www.midnight-artwork.com

I agree the DT artwork is just HORRIBLE.. The left arm looks almost 'out of joint' at the shoulder... Very badly done...

It is pretty damn flattering tho that DT ripped CM - art wise... :D

First they copy "Wither" as track number three, now they copy the cover art. What is the next step? Perhaps move to Norway? :)

Ok, it's not copying, it's called stock photography. There are probably another 1000 uses of the picture, with the author getting some good money for it. Nothing wrong to see here.

As the creator of the CM artwork... I think this is fun. But I have had a different experience where I happened to use a stock image that someone else had used before me.. and then it was no fun :)

The truth... unfortunately... is that as an artwork designer you don't get much money for creating a design. The bands don't do much money on their music so I understand them. If I would hire a model, dress him up like that and take the photo myself, well then I would probably have to pay the model more than I would get for the whole job. And that's just one detail of the cover.

This is not the first and not the last time you will see this happen.

As the creator of the CM artwork... I think this is fun. But I have had a different experience where I happened to use a stock image that someone else had used before me.. and then it was no fun :)

The truth... unfortunately... is that as an artwork designer you don't get much money for creating a design. The bands don't do much money on their music so I understand them. If I would hire a model, dress him up like that and take the photo myself, well then I would probably have to pay the model more than I would get for the whole job. And that's just one detail of the cover.

I agree. But I think (and im pretty sure) DT is able to pay a lot for an artwork design, especially if the design is made by Syme...

My website :
www.midnight-artwork.com

Well , you told us you wanted your ass to be famous , so we asked you to sit on the bike naked , but you insisted using that dude with clothes instead :Spin: