Dream Theater revival!!!

i read this review on the net and the guy said that DT probably have ADD or something, not being able to stick to a theme, which is damn obvious in "the dance of eternity"
dadanadeedeedandnandndnedede

Metal88. I consider myself a very tr00 fan of DT, and I&W just doesn't compare with Awake. Being a drummer, Awake is by far my favorite album, becuase of the drumming. The drums sounds amazing on that album. Mike Portnoy is TEH MAN DAWG!!!!!! My list goes

1 - Awake
2 - SFAM
3 - I&W
4 - ACoS
5 - 6DOiT
6 - FII
7 - WDaDU

A tr00, tr00 Dream Theater fan knows all the abbreviations. TEH SEXAH!!!

Originally posted by Austin7
Metal88. I consider myself a very tr00 fan of DT, and I&W just doesn't compare with Awake. Being a drummer, Awake is by far my favorite album, becuase of the drumming. The drums sounds amazing on that album. Mike Portnoy is TEH MAN DAWG!!!!!! My list goes

1 - Awake
2 - SFAM
3 - I&W
4 - ACoS
5 - 6DOiT
6 - FII
7 - WDaDU

A tr00, tr00 Dream Theater fan knows all the abbreviations. TEH SEXAH!!!

Yeah! The DRUMMING is the key. It's still Portnoy today, but he doesn't drum the same way he did on Images and Awake. I have no problem with your claim that Awake is their best cd, in fact I'd say most Tr00 fans would pick Awake or Images. Surely none would go with this 6DoiT, agree? Awake is second best in my book and my BOTTOM 3 DT albums mirror yours, though not in that order, they are obviously not as good as the top 4 you have there.....unless you wanan include just "The Ytse Jam" off WDaDU.

I'd like to add that DAN SWANO agrees with my view of Dream Theater, so you can all bite on that for awhile. :D

@YourFuneral

It really has nothing to do with a difference of opinion between us, I really think you feel the way you do b/c you're simply not as brilliant as I am, and cannot understand DT's brilliance on the earlier albums. When they started declining, you and your buddies started understanding them better. (And if you weren't pissed off before.......:lol:)

hahah that was pretty outrageous there Metall88 :D

I am a hardcore DT fan, listened to each album at least 150-200 times (yes even the new one!!) and i still say i like SFAM and 6DoiT better than the previous albums. I mean seriously i am obsessed with dream theater!! i mean fuck i have JP's signature guitar, and i am looking for a Mesa/Boogie Mark IIC+ (JP's "holy grail" amp, the one he says he can't live without) and i mean... if that's not fanatic i don't know what is hehe. Only time i ever really found Dream Theater to be emotional music is on the new album, disc 2... from Goodnight Kiss to the end (especially solitary shell)... i never liked high pitched wide vibrato singing anyway and i personally prefer the lower, less wide vibrato style of labrie now to the past stuff. Sure in many ways the music has simplified, but it has NOT gotten worse. And SFAM has many way more technical proggy moments than I&W does anyway IMHO. Really and truly there are just people with different feelings. I mean shit i respect people who like new opeth more than old (though in my opinion morningrise kills the new stuff) because sure the old is IMHO a lot more personal, emotional, and passionate, but the new stuff comparatively is more musically complex and has some really awesome evil stuff going on which you can't find on the old stuff. So if i was looking for more that style i would like the new stuff better... same goes for Dream Theater... they ARE more emotional now (IMHO of course hehe) and it is kind of a different sound, but it is not inferior to the sound of I&W... just depends what you are looking for. I do think I&W is brilliant.... but for me the new albums more so. I am not missing the brilliance of anything, and neither is YourFuneral. I think the thing is when you tend to like a band for a very long time you have a sentimental attachment to the older stuff and it is more familiar and is what you recognize as THE sound for the band. Now again not always the case, and some times it is even the opposite (i like old Opeth more, yet i only got into them right before the release of BWP)

it's pretty easy to get obsessed with DT. i have since i bought SFAM. i even looked at all the old skool pics of them back in the 80's lol

promo88.jpg

i mean how can you get more hardcore than that \m/ \m/

Originally posted by Metal88
@YourFuneral

It really has nothing to do with a difference of opinion between us, I really think you feel the way you do b/c you're simply not as brilliant as I am, and cannot understand DT's brilliance on the earlier albums. When they started declining, you and your buddies started understanding them better. (And if you weren't pissed off before.......:lol:)
HAHA! You're funny... No, seriously... As I'm sure you're just trying to get me worked up, I'll... COMMENT... (Like I give a shit!) I think it's more likely that I have the ability to allow my tastes to mature along with the band... An ability it would seem you lack...

No, really, seriously... I'm pretty sure the reason I like the last 2 albums better than the previous material is because I've ALWAYS admired Jordan Rudess... I admired his amazing abilities long before I even knew DT existed (and for that matter, BEFORE DT existed...) So, it goes without saying that as soon as I found out he was joining DT, I nearly shit a gold brick...

Prior to SFAM, I always liked Awake the best... I fuck'n LOVE that album... (then and now) I liked that it was darker than I&W... But hell, I love I&W too... FUCK! I love all the albums! (I just prefer the newer ones...)

YourFuneral said......
No, really, seriously... I'm pretty sure the reason I like the last 2 albums better than the previous material is because I've ALWAYS admired Jordan Rudess... I admired his amazing abilities long before I even knew DT existed (and for that matter, BEFORE DT existed...) So, it goes without saying that as soon as I found out he was joining DT, I nearly shit a gold brick...

Rudess rules! I think more so in Liquid Tenion Experiment than in
DT. The 3 keyboard players DT have had are the 3 best keyboard players in the history of the entire universe: Moore, Sherenian, and Rudess. Sherenian I think may have the most talented fingers of the bunch, Rudess' strength lies in his own personal unique style that can easily be identified. Now I'll tell you why Kevin Moore, while maybe not "better" than the others, has been the most valuable to the band. His LYRICS. He wrote a great deal of the lyrics on Images as Well as Awake. He's responisible for some of DT's best, most emotional lyrics. If they still had Moore, perhaps they wouldn't have to relay on cheap current event lyrics as seen in "The Great Debate" This is a very important factor, though I'll stick with Austin7's evaluation when he points to the DRUMS being the most important. The Drumming on Images and Awake are just mind blowing, still good on later albums, but they had to change with the music and I think they changed for the worse. Maybe they will try something new next time. They tried something new with Falling/infintity and saw that it was a bad idea (I think ALL fans agree with me here) then they recovered with SFAM which was very bombass. The repeat attempt with 6Doit was not nearly as impressive, I think most agree on this, though one or two people (like bumblefoot) have told me that 6DoiT is as good as anything. <shrug>

Bumblefoot said....
Only time i ever really found Dream Theater to be emotional music is on the new album, disc 2... from Goodnight Kiss to the end (especially solitary shell)... i never liked high pitched wide vibrato singing anyway and i personally prefer the lower, less wide vibrato style of labrie now to the past stuff.

I've keyed in on your comment that you prefer the more boring- monotonous syle LaBrie has develped as opposed to his former beautiful-awe inspiring-majestic vocal range. :lol:

Seriously though, I think the whole issue for you is his voice, surely. I bet you worship Liquid Tension Experiment, am I right? More so than Dream Theater? (at least old DT?) I love LTE, much better than new DT, b/c I don't like LaBrie's vocals, the drumming isn't as good, and the lyrics are not of the emotional poetic type. As far as thinking their emotional highlight is on disc 2 of 6doit....eh...hehe. Try this: Get the cover jacket out from Images or Awake and simply view the lyrics as poems. This way LaBrie's high-range isn't turning you off. Now Read the lyrics for "The Great Debate" ::vomits:: Remember, no music. Hehe. Sorry to keep kicking at the song, but when I think of the new cd it's always the first thing I think about, just jumps in my head ya know? Fuuuuuuuuuuk! Make it stop! MAKE IT STOP!!!

As for this side topic we have about bands in general "maturing" like you and YF say about DT or "turning to shit" like we seem to agree with Opeth......it's interesting. (Opeth didn't turn to shit, but you know what I mean) You think it matters which cd you first hear from the band? I could entertain that idea. Morningrise was the first thing I heard from Opeth and it's still on my "top 5 all time" list. I really don't like MAYH and after even close to as much. It's cool that you agree Morningrise is best even though you heard BWP first. I've thought about this and I really do believe "most" bands first few albums are always their best. Opeth dropped off at 2. Every mainstream band like Metallica, Megadeth, even 80's stuff like Guns'N'Roses, all die out after maybe 3 or 4 albums. <shrug> I'm trying to think of a band that has gotten BETTER with time (no not DT.....hehe) This took a minute, but ANTHRAX got better I think, their last cd was the best thing they ever did. But of course the Tr00 Anthrax fans will be pissed to hear this. Hehehe. I guess there are no "rules of thumb" for this topic......I guess I should delete this part of my post...well....nah fuck it! Hehe.

Dream Theater are a cool band, I keep coming back to them, but do prefer their earlier stuff, Awake, Images and Words and a Change of Seasons. All blinding. 6:00 should not have been the opening track on awake though, as it is my least favorite of those albums.

Anyway, I liked dream theatre more when kevin moore was in the band. Falling to Infinity wasn't brilliant, and I listened to metropolis pt2 and while the music is better than falling to infinity, I find that the vocals are boring and a bit monotonous as said above. They don't really fit as well. It did take a while to get used to the vocals when I first started listening to them though, sort of like nevermore really...

If you want some tracks to check out (well, this is more a list of favorites):
Awake:
Lie
The Mirror
Voices
Space Dye Vest

Images and Words:
Pull me under
Metropolis pt1
Take the Time

Change of Seasons:
Change of Seasons (all 20+ minutes of it :) )

after that, there are some tracks of Falling that I like and metropolis, but they don't get listened to as much.

On the Images, Awake and Seasons the musicianship is amzingly good.

And if anyone is going to graspop this year to see them live, it is worth the effort. They have no time to do lots of solo spots, so they just play songs (If it's like last time they played), and I remember them sounding awesome and perfect then. Not a single mistake, almost like listening to a CD in a field (except for the variations thrown in).

Great band!