Dream Theater taking Summer 06 Off

LichofHell

Oct 20, 2005
Huntington Beach, CA
Mike Portnoy posted in this thread from mp.com http://www.mikeportnoy.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1113810&mpage=1&key=

I think they deserve an entire summer off after almost an entire year of touring. I think 06/07 will be another repeat of 04/05 in the sense that they will start writing and recording a new album at the end of 06 and possbly come out mid 07 and the have a summer festival tour (possible Progapollooza?). Anyways...I think this would be a good opportunity for all the members to relax or even do something that they could not do when they were obligated to touring or other matters. Possbily a Portnoy/Wilson/Akerfeldt project, new JLB, JP, or JR solo album???

Good thing I have Symphony X to look forward to this summer...

I keep hearing rumors about that project, anyone know if it's true? Åkerfeldt is one of my favorite musicians, and Portnoy... well he's Portnoy. Wilson is pretty good in Porcupine Tree but I haven't heard enough of their albums (only Deadwing) to be able to judge them.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
I keep hearing rumors about that project, anyone know if it's true? Åkerfeldt is one of my favorite musicians, and Portnoy... well he's Portnoy. Wilson is pretty good in Porcupine Tree but I haven't heard enough of their albums (only Deadwing) to be able to judge them.

Well...awhile back Portnoy posted on this kinda confirming that this will definitely happen sometime in the future...I have also heard about Wilson and Akerfeldt confirming it to some fans as well. I also have a feeling that Akerfeldt and Wilson may be done touring by the summer...

Luis said:
I think DT needs to take a long long rest in order to make a good album.

Dont be surpsised if they guys decide to break up.

I doubt that they would break up anytime soon, just really doesnt seem logical, especially since this tour has been such a huge success.

Luis said:
I think DT needs to take a long long rest in order to make a good album.

Dont be surpsised if they guys decide to break up.

I haven't been a fan of their new releases since SFaM, but you'd be dead wrong if you think they're gonna break up. DT is probably bigger than they've ever been right now and all the guys seem pretty satisfied.

Seem to get along fine to me, just because they wanna take a break from touring and maybe work on a 'GREAT' New studio album and possibly some solo projects.

Come on, they have family & Friends just like everyone else, they have goals and ambitions just like anyone else...So sure they have probably suceded much allready, but they might have other ideas. I Doubt they will break up, just might be quiet for a while... At least IMO

Jax said:
Okay so they're gonna take a break..um, so?

Thier were alot of rumors floating along that Dream Theater might create some sort of Progapollooza festival tour over the summer, which Mike first mentioned on an XM radio show last May (or June?).

DT definately needs a break... they've been touring/recording/working on some kind of project pretty much non-stop since the release of ToT.

DT breaking up? No way, they're getting more success now than in their entire career - things are looking great for them.

This Progapalooza festival's quite a concept though... hm...

OfSinsAndShred said:
DT definately needs a break... they've been touring/recording/working on some kind of project pretty much non-stop since the release of ToT.

DT breaking up? No way, they're getting more success now than in their entire career - things are looking great for them.

This Progapalooza festival's quite a concept though... hm...

Mike even said that he will be doing this sort of festival in the future, just not in 2006...so that being said I think a 2007 Progapollooza would be a good bet (and maybe we can have Sym X on this as well)

LichofHell said:
Thier were alot of rumors floating along that Dream Theater might create some sort of Progapollooza festival tour over the summer, which Mike first mentioned on an XM radio show last May (or June?).

I don't want to sound like a wierdo when I say this, but I'm just gonna be plain and blunt. A Progapaloozaza festival would be the equivalent to sex.

this would so totally own..but theres a few naming problems though..

1. the "Palooza" tag is copywrited, if you live in new england than you know that WAAF puts on locobazooka every year, the first year it was called "localpalooza" and they got sued..

2 you could rename it "ProgFest" but theres already a progfest is Cali, its a computer programming festival, god, if you think a prog music fest attracts "D&D fags" as those lovable megadeth fans called us..yikes, hate to see what that place is like...and I just looked it up, also in cali, there was a prog music fest called, progfest back in '00 and before too..

Mabie just having a much bigger Progpower would work...something as big as gigantour...