Dream Theater - Train Of Thought

Ze Dan

European Prog Rock Rabbi
Sep 5, 2002
Paris, France
www.progressia.net
Ok, Train of Thought has been released today in France since Nov 11th is a Red Letter Day.
Those who want to keep the surprise until tomorrow please don't read what is below :

this is the worst and crappiest record released in 2003 and I'm not kidding
Sorry if I spoiled the party for some of you here

You haven't spoiled anything for me. I have heard two tracks already, I don't intend to listen to any more of those, and I totally agree with you:

THIS HAS GOT TO BE THE BIGGEST LOAD OF CRAP THIS YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For shame!

It's a Brain of Nought.

And, now we can just wait for the avalanche of accusations. I have a message in advance for those:

BITE MY SHINY METAL ASS!!!!!!!!!

he he listenning to Petrucci's solos I'd call it Rain Of Notes
Allow me to correct your answer for the avalanche of accusations

BITE OUR SHINY METAL ASSES !!!!!!!!!

For those who'll agree with us : JOIN US ! UNITED WE STAND (Lol sounds like it's the army calling lol)

OK Guys

We have no problem with your not caring for this disc, but keep one thing in mind before getting carried away! The last thread was WAY OUT of line! The band was really upset by it! and thats why it vaporized! and it will again if it becomes an attack! You are only hurting Enchant and making us look bad by going over the top here? so just use some proper etiquite? cool? thanks :)

There is nothing wrong with a healthy debate or some shiny metal ass kissing, thats a good one, but a very bad visual Alberik :) I can already hear teeth breaking :)

Also ......................................DT are good friends of ours and have helped Enchant very much in the past! Especially Mike! They are totally cool people! Awesome guys! having us open those 7 shows in Europe in 97 helped us so much! It was huge exposure for Enchant!

Bashing them here on our site is not gonna happen OK fair enough?

Everyone is welcome to an opinion and that is cool, it should be that way, just keep in under control OK :)

We would really appreciate it!

Enchant

I bought TOT last Saturday. I will try to be civil stating my opinion here, especially because I have no intention of hurting anyone's feelings. I respect Dream Theater and I really think they are talented and skillful musicians. They have of course created a very akward situation after having released some of the best albums in rockhistory and they must have felt that it is hard to top those or even to come up with something similar as that is not called progress. So they have chosen a different direction. It's clear that TOT wants to attract a new crowd of metal fans. They have every right to do so. It's just not my cup of tea. I have listened to this album at least 6 or 7 times now and I can't get into it because I don't enjoy it at all. It's heavy and that's okay, but it seems so uninspired. It seems to me like they can pull this off easily. Besides I don't like the soundeffects on the vocals or the shredding expressionless solos. That's a matter of taste of course, other people will say it's cool. I think they have a right to go that way as much as old time fans have a right to choose a different band on top of their list.

Sorry Ed and the Enchant guys, I guess we just went out of control on this point.
I'd like to apologize to the enchant guys for going off Topic I didn't mean to spoil the board, but this was my first reaction after some attentive listennings.
I'll try to be more conventionnal next time.

In the meantime my apologies go to enchant. Sorry guys, I didn't mean to get you any kind of trouble

Hey Dan, Alberik , Guys no worries

You don,t have to apoligize for this. I for one value your opinions becuase you have great taste in music!

And no one should have a problem with this one including the DT guys? It is honest. In fact Wouters post is an example of exactly how it is done! Wouter you are a class act!

If someone feels strongly that it sucks that,s fine as well. There is a fine line that everyone should know when it is beyond criticism, if you don,t then don,t come in here!

DT can probably expect a bunch of stones coming there way now but I am sure they know that!

This thread is cool I just wanted to make it very clear that the last one a bit over the top. Thats why it is gone.

I think this is probably pretty tame compared to a bunch of other forums, I can already see the flames! But that is the chance one takes when changing direction so drastically?

Anyone should be able to give thier opinion here as long as it is not over the top!

Thanks

keeper of the flame said:
I bought TOT last Saturday. I will try to be civil stating my opinion here, especially because I have no intention of hurting anyone's feelings. I respect Dream Theater and I really think they are talented and skillful musicians. They have of course created a very akward situation after having released some of the best albums in rockhistory and they must have felt that it is hard to top those or even to come up with something similar as that is not called progress. So they have chosen a different direction. It's clear that TOT wants to attract a new crowd of metal fans. They have every right to do so. It's just not my cup of tea. I have listened to this album at least 6 or 7 times now and I can't get into it because I don't enjoy it at all. It's heavy and that's okay, but it seems so uninspired. It seems to me like they can pull this off easily. Besides I don't like the soundeffects on the vocals or the shredding expressionless solos. That's a matter of taste of course, other people will say it's cool. I think they have a right to go that way as much as old time fans have a right to choose a different band on top of their list.

That's exactly what i think ... petrucci joined "The Dark Side Of The Force" :cry: ... well i'm not gonna whine ... unpredictable as this band is maybe the next one will be more to my liking

keeper of the flame said:
I think they have a right to go that way as much as old time fans have a right to choose a different band on top of their list.
That´s also what I think.
Being a fan since "Images...", having seen them 11 times since 1993, having bought several shirts and all albums - I have to admit that this is a record I wasn´t looking forward to like at the previous stuff.
Maybe "Six Degrees..." did that to me. This album wasn´t (and isn´t) my cup of tea in many spots. Some great stuff, but also some weak - for me.

And I found a new favorite band - after about 8 years.
The opening act for DT in 2000 - Spock´s Beard.

Oh, I forgot: I haven´t received ToT yet.

I still have not heard this album, I'm waiting for a friend to pick it up for me since I'm out of commission with a broken knee. I did hear parts of 2 songs, and I was not overwhelmed. Still, I want to listen to the entire album before passing judgement. For anyone to claim this is the worst album of the year, there is no need for such exaggeration. Its impossible to believe they would release something so bad. Its not Metallica we are talking about here. And even they didn't release the worst album of the year. Just listen to the local top 40 station, you will find plenty of music far worse than the pathetic 'St. Anger'. The idea of DT being even worse, just not possible.

Hm, I've been told I am too harsh towards DREAM THEATER. And, since that came from a very good friend, I have now stopped.

The one reason I really don't like DT anymore is because I was such a huge fan back in the days (Majesty demos, When Dream and Day Unite, Images and Words). Believe it or not, it still hurts me to think of a once great band, who has gone all soft and stale - that is the way I hear them now!

Anyway, they (DT) don't have to worry about rants from one guy (me). People will still like the new album even if I start laying eggs in protest.

The only difference that my post might have made is Ed's concerns.

Ed, all apologies to you! You are a nice man and now I really feel sorry for making you worry. Gee, now the baddest bassman in prog music thinks poorly of me :-(

I am outta here...
(hangs head in shame and starts polishing his metal ass)

Early on it seems a bit of a stretch for me to get into as a whole, but many times bands stuff grows on me and takes awhile, Enchant included. I can't fully judge how much I like this album this early..I'll say this, it not like anything they've done before atleast, for what that is worth...and actually I am in a slightly similar position with ToW actually. To be honest, I have spun it like 5 or 6 times since I bought it, could be b/c I'm getting into a lot of other stuff, could be other new albums, or other reasons..ToW and ToT just may not catch my ears so strong like other albums have done right away. Besides, I am totally looking fwd to other new albums soon, the TA-live DVD/CD, Shaman DVD, Peter Gabriel DVD, YMC-live cd, ..then later next year, Marillion - Marbles, Pain of Salvation - Be and Be-DVD, Tiles - Window Dressing, possibly a new Fates Warning disc, etc.

And as Mike said, ToT is hardly what every future DT album will be like so I hope like myself, many of their fanbase won't turn on them and never buy their albums even if ToT disappoints.

Kyle

Alberik

You are passionate about how you feel and that is OK my friend. I have been known to be really blunt and pretty opinionated as well! :) And definatly over the top on occasion too! I have even been called Bad Ed at times :) I have to laugh :)

The fact that you are big enough to post this this is really cool. We really appreciate it. It says a lot about you as well.

I am anxious to hear this one but I am not really into heaver stuff right now but I will always be objective, maybe I will pick it up tommorrow???

I am not worried I just wanted people to be respectful on this site, and DT are good friends of the band. They have really helped us.

So no apoligies needed OK! I don,t think poorly of you! I appreciate your honesty and think it was really cool of you to post this!

Thanks!

PS I am no where near the baddest bassmen in prog :) That would be Geddy! and a whole bunch of others! I am just lucky!!!!!!!

Alberik said:
Hm, I've been told I am too harsh towards DREAM THEATER. And, since that came from a very good friend, I have now stopped.

The one reason I really don't like DT anymore is because I was such a huge fan back in the days (Majesty demos, When Dream and Day Unite, Images and Words). Believe it or not, it still hurts me to think of a once great band, who has gone all soft and stale - that is the way I hear them now!

Anyway, they (DT) don't have to worry about rants from one guy (me). People will still like the new album even if I start laying eggs in protest.

The only difference that my post might have made is Ed's concerns.

Ed, all apologies to you! You are a nice man and now I really feel sorry for making you worry. Gee, now the baddest bassman in prog music thinks poorly of me :-(

I am outta here...
(hangs head in shame and starts polishing his metal ass)

Ed - to me, you are the baddest and most talented bass player in prog. I think there was none happier than me when you returned to ENCHANT at the time of 'Juggling 9...'.

Don't be so modest, you are the best!!!!

Btw, thanx for the kind words.

This album is balls out HEAVY and I LOVE it! IOt's exactly what I was expecting and even more than what I expected at that. Whereas I feel the songs on 6 Degrees were long for the sake of being long and filled with some pointless parts, everything on here just sounds right and fits so well. I don't think I could be more happy with this album really.

Okay, I have the album now and I really like it. Not among my favorite DT albums, but this band still rocks big time.

Not enough listens so far for judging it properly.

My opinion about DT's new album is not going to set any trascendental point here, I assume. The stuff is heavier, and that disappoints the melodic-oriented audience and satisfy the metal-oriented ears, nothing more, nothing less. That is its innovative basis, a new sound for a new album, this was not made before by Dream Theater, and changes are always risky, but think Dream Theater never were afraid of making a step straight to the music they want to do, regardless their fans' opinion.

For three times my tastes have been surprised with three different albums that settled a milestone in the broad road of music and progressive rock ("Images & Words", "Awake" and "Metropolis Part II: Scenes From a Memory"), not to mention the stuff they did in parallel projects (Transatlantic, Liquid Tension). Maybe they are not going to revolution this time, they are making new stuff, good music independantly of the tastes it matches. And that's honest and makes this business trustful and the band loyal to the fans and to themselves. :)

|ng.