Dream Theater VIP = Rip Off

Dolamite S. Biffle

Biffliest Person Ever
May 2, 2005
Atlantis
This is just ridiculous I cant believe they are this expensive good lord!!!

DREAM THEATER has announced the details of its VIP ticket packages for the band's upcoming U.S. tour:

* Dream Theater Gold Package ($150)

This package includes one reserved ticket within the first 10 rows, a collectible DREAM THEATER laminate and a $25 voucher to the official DREAM THEATER online store. Gold Ticket Package BONUS! Two lucky fans will be upgraded and taken backstage to meet DREAM THEATER and get a photo and autograph! *Please note: Gold Tickets DO NOT include ANY backstage access.

* Dream Theater Platinum Meet and Greet Package ($300)

This package includes one reserved ticket within the first 5 rows and collectible VIP laminate that gives you access to the exclusive DREAM THEATER meet and greet experience. Fans will receive a Q&A and autograph session with DREAM THEATER, a personal photograph, an autographed 8 X 10 of band and a $25 voucher to the official DREAM THEATER online store. Backstage pass will be distributed the night of the show. 8 X 10 photo will be signed during the meet and greet session.

VIP packages for the following dates will go on sale this Saturday, April 28, 2007.

July 30 - E-Center, Salt Lake City, UT
July 31 - Paramount Theater, Denver, CO
August 10 - Rosemont Theater, Chicago, IL

I did this for my Dad on the Gigantour cause DT is my Dad's favorite band. The company that runs it, Fanfire is extremely unorganized and their customer service absolutely sucks!!! Information wasn't given to us until 2 hours before show time...the meet and great was during Megadeth's set, and was VERY short. The DT guys were awesome and the look on my fathers face as he talked to Mike, John, Jordan, etc. was priceless. But the whole experience was very poorly run. And believe me, I was not the only one complaing... the Gigantour Forums were flooded with complaints about Fanfire. Be wary if you want to see any of the opening bands as that might be when the meet and greet happens.

We did a basic package for the Radio City Show last year. Scored front row. Little off on the left, but still were awesome seats. Saw everything. Was worth it as that was a very special show.

We'll be at PNC and JB this summer, and I think we are going to just take our chances with regular seats this time. Dunno yet. The man is starting talk about going for the $150 deal at PNC.

Why would anyone pay to meet DT? They go out of their way to make themselves available to the fans after the show, providing you're willing to wait a bit. And guess what??? They even answers your questions if you ask them. And guess what else??? They'll sign pretty much anything you give them. Oh yeah, and they'll take as many fucking pictures as your little heart desires. I won't begrudge them for doing this if they make good money off it. At this point, I couldn't give a shit where I sit or stand at a DT show. They've been touring relentlessly for years now.

A bit steep for a meet and greet. I was lucky to meet such bands/arists as Judas Priest (KK & Ian in Japan), Ian Gillan, Rik Emmett, Dark Tranquillity, Xandria, King's X etc. But I wouldn't shell out $300 to talk with my fellow man. We all shit sitting down and so on.

Why would anyone pay to meet DT? They go out of their way to make themselves available to the fans after the show, providing you're willing to wait a bit. And guess what??? They even answers your questions if you ask them. And guess what else??? They'll sign pretty much anything you give them. Oh yeah, and they'll take as many fucking pictures as your little heart desires..

I'm kinda wondering if they do still chat with regular 'peon' fans after the show, now. After all, it would cheapen the glorious $300 meet'n'greet experience! :rolleyes:

Hope not. Metallica used to be famous for planning time after their shows to meet all the kids waiting outside the backstage fence.

Later, this practice declined.*

So did Metallica.

-=-=-=
* except for Jason, who was fan-friendly to the end

I guess the lesson here is that we get one HELL of a deal with Progpower! For the price of a ticket we essentially get a meet and greet with 10 bands! That would be, what, $3000 in DT terms? Sheesh.
Don't get any ideas Glenn. :)

Didn't they say that they do this to be able to pay for a big time light and video show? I seem to recall this being mentioned. I wouldn't pay for this myself, as indeed they have always been very accessible after the shows out by the busses; but if people are willing to pay and they indeed put the proceeds into their show, then I guess that's OK.

I have seen DT many times and don't pay much attention to the lights or the video. It takes just about all the attention I can give to watch these amazing guys play.

Dude, welcome to concert going in the 2000s

Sorry to tell you but MANY bands have this 'package' thing available for ticket purchases now and more are doing it as well. Satriani has for a while...

This was an untapped market that band management companies finally realized they could exploit for extra cash....

It's not much worse than the venues that are doubling the price of tickets for a free poster and admittance earlier than the rest of the public for GA shows.

I read this as

Dream Theater == Rip Off

Haven't released anything worth buying since SFaM2, and even that wasn't that great. Only other albums worth a damn are I&W and Change Of Seasons (mostly for the covers). Boring band. They have technical prowess, I'll give them that, but their songs are so fucking boring. Dream Theater fanboy's are some of the worst too, ugh.

Justin

ps. no point in trying to convince me otherwise, it will never work. =p

What's a "fanboy"?

Not sure if you're being sarcastic so I'll explain.
They're basically fans who think the object of their worship can do no wrong and will blindly keep purchasing whatever said company/person/group comes out with no matter how much of an analprobe they are getting.
There's a great animation of Sony fanboys on the internet. Basically it's a huge ass taking a dump and a bunch of blissful fanboys catching it. I'm too lazy to look around for it.

Didn't they say that they do this to be able to pay for a big time light and video show? I seem to recall this being mentioned. I wouldn't pay for this myself, as indeed they have always been very accessible after the shows out by the busses; but if people are willing to pay and they indeed put the proceeds into their show, then I guess that's OK.

I have seen DT many times and don't pay much attention to the lights or the video. It takes just about all the attention I can give to watch these amazing guys play.

Bingo. They made mention of this a few years ago when they first started offering these "packages." Fans were pissed, so they told them the money was to offset the costs of their upgraded light setup, which actually was considerably better than on previous tours. And yeah, I don't really go to shows to pay much attention to the lights either, but I guess it's a nice upgrade. I just don't see DT purposely trying to screw anyone out of money.

This is very similar to Megadeth's package last year. Me and friend got platinum tickets for Gigantour last year and it was worth every penny. It doesn't sound like you get as much w/the DT package. It was poorly run, and we missed Opeth's entire set cuz it took so long to do the meet and greet/photo op. But getting a pro pic with a band you love IS very cool. With the Megadeth package we got sets of drumsticks, guitar picks, exclusive t-shirt, $25 to spend at Megadeth's website, and front 5 row seating. It was well worth it and I would do it again despite having met them on tours as far back as the '80's. I like DT, but not enough to to pay those prices. But, if you really enjoy 'em, go for it!

I read this as

Dream Theater == Rip Off

Haven't released anything worth buying since SFaM2, and even that wasn't that great. Only other albums worth a damn are I&W and Change Of Seasons (mostly for the covers). Boring band. They have technical prowess, I'll give them that, but their songs are so fucking boring. Dream Theater fanboy's are some of the worst too, ugh.

Justin

ps. no point in trying to convince me otherwise, it will never work. =p

I like their music a little bit more than you do, however, I agree about the fans though. Dream Theater has the most crazed, annoying fucking fans on the face of the planet, no contest. Completely insane.

I like their music a little bit more than you do, however, I agree about the fans though. Dream Theater has the most crazed, annoying fucking fans on the face of the planet, no contest. Completely insane.

Even more annoying than Nightwish's fans? Because I think that one would be hard to beat.

Granted, I haven't encountered too many DT fanboys/fangirls myself...