Dream Theater VIP = Rip Off

I'm kinda wondering if they do still chat with regular 'peon' fans after the show, now. After all, it would cheapen the glorious $300 meet'n'greet experience! :rolleyes:

Hope not. Metallica used to be famous for planning time after their shows to meet all the kids waiting outside the backstage fence.

Later, this practice declined.*

So did Metallica.

-=-=-=
* except for Jason, who was fan-friendly to the end

Yep, Jason would usually be the only one showing up as soon as that Black album came out.:Smug:

Dream Theater is still my favorite band after all these years. I'm not completely insane...and I happen to think these packages are ridiculous.

Yeah, don't worry, it wasn't a rip on everyone...just a good handful of people. I like Dream Theater too, so I was ripping on a group that even I belong to. However, even other DT fans have to admit...a lot of those people are crazed :lol:

Well, you don't have to be a fanboy/girl to be an avid fan. As long as you're reasonable. The fan may love all their albums but know some are weak compared to the others. The fanboy will think all of their albums were the best released that year and not see a single weak point no matter what the critics or anyone else say.

Bingo. They made mention of this a few years ago when they first started offering these "packages." Fans were pissed, so they told them the money was to offset the costs of their upgraded light setup, which actually was considerably better than on previous tours.

I love DT, but I don’t really buy this argument.

Paul O’Neill and Trans-Siberian orchestra seem to scrape together an OK light show every year without charging $300 to meet the band. (And if that’s really the market rate for meeting a band these days, the touring members of TSO should be bazillionaires by now.)

It's true that DT has a very hardcore following that borderlines obsessive. These individuals have even irked the band themselves & prompted them to dump their own forum and write a song about the "neediness" of the fans (Never Enough). Of course, we are talking about the band that owns the prog metal genre...a genre that tends to have fans that are "different". l know...l am one.

But, there are other bands/artists that have just as crazed fanbois. Nevermore & Matt Barlow come to mind. And they haven't come close to accomplishing as much as a band like DT. Heaven forbid if you happen to have a differing view about these two.

This is a growing trend that I find alarming. More and more tickets are being snapped up by dung-heap online ticket brokers and parceled out at exorbitant prices. More bands sell their best seats at great cost by calling them "VIP Packages." It is a total rip-off. It makes the bands look like money-grubbing bozos, and it leaves many fans colder than a Michigan winter.

I was absolutely floored when I saw tickets to the Rush tour selling for as much as $750 apiece for third row center on one of those wretched online ticket broker sites. In fact, I was so incensed that I blogged about this very topic on my MySpace page.

Bottom line: I agree. It's a rip-off. Bands should NEVER, EVER sell "VIP Tickets." They surely don't need the money. If they gave a rat's ass about their fans they'd do all they can to (a) knock off the stupid "VIP Ticket" crap, and (b) work to put the steaming pile online ticket brokers out of business -- before their greed kills live music by making tickets scarce and so expensive that only the very wealthy can afford them.

A few weeks ago, I saw Estradasphere play in Chicago, along with about 70 other people. Incredible show, as usual.

For the normal, non-VIP ticket price ($12, I believe), anyone could get as close the stage as they wanted, and there was no problem meeting the band. Even better, one lucky fan could win the Super-Mega "Host The Whole Band Overnight At Your House Because They're Broke!" Platinum-Prize-Package, for free. I'd love to see what a DT fanboy would pay for that 'privilege'!

So, if bands whoring themselves out (and really, in what other situation besides prostitution do you pay cash in exchange for a personal meeting with someone?) disturbs you, the solution is simple: find some less popular bands to like. There are thousands of them out there, many of whom are just as good as the Dream Theaters of the world (and Estradasphere would be a great place to start! :D ) It's a little more work on your part, as you just can't follow the herd, but for me, who hates assigned-seating shows (all but 4 of the 150+ shows I've seen have been General Admission), it's totally worth it.

Not that I should need to preach to ProgPower people about seeking out underground bands, but hey, when there is disgust like this, maybe a little reminder isn't out of line.

Neil

LOL Damn, is this a band or is this a celebrity giveaway? Seriously, why would anyone pay $300 to talk to a band and get a bunch of collectibles.

Give me a Zero Hour gig any day, they're cool as hell and free to talk to!
Dream Theater's not just a band anymore, soon they'll have a TV show and lunchboxes and a plethora of STUFF they can market and merch off. It's just sad.

Jeeeeeeezzzz, guys!!! I'll be buying the $300 package if the show comes here. Why not?

Think of it like Gold Badges. We don't buy them because of the perks. That's why they're called PERKS. Most of us buy them to help support the festival financially. I don't hear anyone complaining about Gold Badges.. or public tv fundraisers for that matter. :lol: That being said, I don't think this is unreasonable at all. I like DT, I'll pay them extra. Oh, they want to give me cool stuff in return? Sweeeeeet! :cool:

Jeeeeeeezzzz, guys!!! I'll be buying the $300 package if the show comes here. Why not?

Think of it like Gold Badges. We don't buy them because of the perks. That's why they're called PERKS. Most of us buy them to help support the festival financially. I don't hear anyone complaining about Gold Badges.. or public tv fundraisers for that matter. :lol: That being said, I don't think this is unreasonable at all. I like DT, I'll pay them extra. Oh, they want to give me cool stuff in return? Sweeeeeet! :cool:

I dont Glenn or anyone else to take this personally, but I got the gold badge for the perks not to help support PP well I guess in way. The main reason was that I wanted the private room at the pre-party which didnt happen last year my first year of having them, but I got in at about 2 or so rather than 4 which helps out a shitload with shopping etc. Not to mention gold badges are for 2 days, 10 bands, and about 15 hours of music.

I dont Glenn or anyone else to take this personally, but I got the gold badge for the perks not to help support PP well I guess in way. The main reason was that I wanted the private room at the pre-party which didnt happen last year my first year of having them, but I got in at about 2 or so rather than 4 which helps out a shitload with shopping etc. Not to mention gold badges are for 2 days, 10 bands, and about 15 hours of music.

Yeah, the perks are incentive to buy for many people, I agree. However, it is not the reason for all of us, which was my point. No, the two are not on the same level as far as dollars to music, but that's why they call it a "similarity", yes?

I choose not to pay the exorbitant costs for these "VIP Packages."

BUT...how can you fault a band for wanting financial security for themselves and their families. If this means charging more for a small handful of tickets, then fine. They've earned the right. They are big enough to where if you or I don't wanna buy them, someone else will.

Also, DT gives back to it's fans as much, if not more, than any other band in the metal genre. Whether it be new albums, bootlegs and live shows, countless dvd's, cool merch, etc... The list goes on and on. Not to mention they routinely touch on their entire catalog. Most bands love to ignore their older material, while DT gives the fans what they want. What more do they need to do for us to justify putting some cash in their pockets?

rocky...l have to agree with you. Had this same debate about Heaven & Hell and QR on another thread. There is nothing wrong with a band trying their best to make some money. Especially a band like DT who have been out there year after year grinding out new material and touring on it relentlessly. They have a fanbase that most bands would die for.

Why would anyone pay to meet DT? They go out of their way to make themselves available to the fans after the show, providing you're willing to wait a bit. And guess what??? They even answers your questions if you ask them. And guess what else??? They'll sign pretty much anything you give them. Oh yeah, and they'll take as many fucking pictures as your little heart desires. I won't begrudge them for doing this if they make good money off it. At this point, I couldn't give a shit where I sit or stand at a DT show. They've been touring relentlessly for years now.

I was gonna say the same thing. I have seen DT at least 6X that I can remember. I have met them and talked to them after the show on at least half of those occasions. They are all very cool and approachable. I couldn't imagine paying that kind of money just to do what anybody can do by waiting for them after the show.

rocky...l have to agree with you. Had this same debate about Heaven & Hell and QR on another thread. There is nothing wrong with a band trying their best to make some money. Especially a band like DT who have been out there year after year grinding out new material and touring on it relentlessly. They have a fanbase that most bands would die for.

Well regarding H&H I think personally think it would be a little more understandable since that material hasnt been played live in like 20 years or so. If QR did it I would be irritated as well since I just saw them play a behind amazing General Admission show for 45 dollars.