Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Images and Words (8.5/10)
Awake (8/10)
Falling Into Infinity (5.5/10)
Scenes From A Memory (4/10)
When Dream And Day Unite (2.5/10)
Train of Thought (0/10)
Six Degrees of Intestinal Flatulance (-10/10 for ripping off Peter Gabriel's "Solsbury Hill")

Seriously though, these guys have some of the stupidest lyrics ever, particularly on Scenes from what I remember!

If I could change my vote, I'd probably switch it to A Change of Seasons. Forgot about that one last time around.

ProgMetalFan said:
Images and Words (8.5/10)
Awake (8/10)
Falling Into Infinity (5.5/10)
Scenes From A Memory (4/10)
When Dream And Day Unite (2.5/10)
Train of Thought (0/10)
Six Degrees of Intestinal Flatulance (-10/10 for ripping off Peter Gabriel's "Solsbury Hill")

LOL :tickled:

lurch70 said:
But then Images and Words just was amazing. I don't know what problem you guys have with LaBrie ....

He sings like he's running out of breath. He also sings from the throat/nose, not the gut. Simply put, compare him to strong clean vocalists (Coverdale, Lande, Joe Lynn Turner, etc) and he's pretty lame. He has zero vibrato.

IMO, he is DT's weakest link.

Re: Sherinian - that guy knows how to work it, yeah baby! Only he could manage to get Wylde and Malmsteen trade off each other, but keep them from entering the world of widdly diddly doodle.

we need to clarify once and for all who is a failed musician on this board and who is not? :D

I prefer Labrie on softer material like the lush "Surrounded" and the incredibly restrained "Space Dye Vest". He sounds totally out of place in their more metallic moments.

albumwise images & words is by far the best, even though awake and scenes are brilliant too. the rest got its moments.

songwise a change of seasons shouldnt be forgotten, cause its the last really brilliant thing they did.

the best keyboardist they ever had were kevin moore.

it must be said that Train of Thought definetelly had their best, crunchiest songs and actually very personal lyrics ... not to mention very cohesive songs.

The Kevin Moore era ruled because he contributed to the songwriting and wrote some awesomely quirky lyrics.....now the band's songwriting is more restricted.

I still think Space Dye Vest contains the clue to why he left the band (in addition to following his own musical path with Chroma Key)....his references in the song to future Myung wife Lisa Martens.

Space-Dye Vest

Falling through pages of Martens on angels
Feeling my heart pull west
I saw the future dressed as a stranger
love in a space-dye vest

Love is an act of blood and I'm bleeding
a pool in the shape of a heart
Beauty projection in the reflection
Always the worst way to start

something to look at like a painting or an ivory box.
Something to own and to display. He doesn't want you to be real,
or to think or to live. He doesn't love you, but I love you.
I want you to have your own thoughts and ideas and
feelings, even when
I hold you in my arms. It's our last chance... It's our
last chance..."

Now that you're gone I'm trying to take it
Learning to swallow the rage
Found a new girl I think we can make it
as long as she stays on the page

This is not how I want it to end
And I'll never be open again

There's no one to take my blame
if they wanted to
There's nothing to keep me sane
and it's all the same to you
There's nowhere to set my aim
so I'm everywhere
Never come near me again
do you really think I need you

I'll never be open again, I could never be open again.
I'll never be open again, I could never be open again.

And I'll smile and I'll learn to pretend
And I'll have no more dreams to defend

yeah but that one is more of a kevin moore solo-song, than a DT song. listen to chroma keys "dead air for radios" and you will know what i mean.

a fantastic song, nevertheless.

yeah I see what you mean, but I guess half of what I was trying to say was that he was good for two solid songs per CD, and now the Portnoy Petrucci axis writes most of the material with some help from Labrie, and I don't know if its coincidence, but to me, DT's songwriting has suffered since Moore's departure. A few years ago I would have bought the new live CD the day it came out, but I still haven't bought it yet, and basically, the only reason why I feel I would is because I have everything else except their debut.

Dream Theater's latest live CD and DVD "SCORE" is scheduled for release on August 29th, 2006, on Rhino Records. (date may vary slightly in different countries)

The 3-CD and 2-DVD sets will be available seperately.

Both versions will contain the entire "20th Anniversary World Tour" grand finale recorded live at Radio City Music Hall in New York City on April 1st 2006. (nearly 3 hours of music - over 90 minutes of which was performed with a full orchestra)

The DVD will also contain a 1 hour Documentary tracking the entire career of the band from the very beginnings at the Berklee College Of Music in 1985 all the way to the Radio City Music Hall grand finale. Including rare never before seen footage and interviews with current and previous members of the band.

Oh and Awake is the greatest album ever created.

:worship: :worship: :worship:

LOL @ the idea of lizard as a DT fan. Just funny to me for some reason.
Anyway, I was huge HUGE into DT when I&W came out. Then Awake blew me away, then ACoS came out and it was hard to get into at first. Then that piece of shit FII came out and I began to think I had made a large error in judgement by spending so much time listening to basically one band for so many years. Then SFaM came out and I felt redeemed. That album just kicked ass. Then the next two came out and I though, "meh" and I began to listen to many many other bands and I finally realized that DT are a terrible terrible band.

Ok, seriously, the older albums might still sound good but I can't bring myself to listen to them because they *are* pretty cheesy. And goddam Mike Portnoy sucks.

haha He's been thanking his opera coach since I&W I'm pretty sure. If memory serves, her name is Rosemary Burns or something.

I'm so over prog metal now that I've been into real metal for the past several years. I just lost the taste for prog. It seems so pretentious to me. The only thing I listen to anymore that is close to prog is Symphony X and that's really power metal.

hahaha I'm sure I'll go back when I'm over my metal phase