circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Driller Killer – The 4Q Mangrenade
Osmose Productions – OPCD176 – January 16th, 2006
By Jason Jordan

DK4qmangrenadeCD.jpg

The name Driller Killer sounded vaguely familiar to me, but when The 4Q Mangrenade found its way into my hands, I thought I was going to be delving into a nu-metal shitfest. With song titles like “3one6one4,” “Thefuckhumangrenade,” and “Dakapokalypse,” I figured my conjecture was pretty much foolproof. Well, I was kind of wrong. These guys are, essentially, a hardcore punk outfit. Though there’s not a trace of nu-metal to be uncovered, this isn’t a style I’m all too enthralled with anyway. Certain attributes are well crafted, I think, but filler occupies most of this 37-minute record.

I know Victory Records isn’t what it used to be, although I think Driller Killer would’ve fit perfectly back when Victory was still a hardcore label. Nevertheless, the tempos of “Jaws,” “3one6one4,” and “Thefuckhumangrenade” are unmistakably hardcore punk in nature, and the vocalist practically spits gravel during his deliveries, bringing to mind Blood for Blood. By the time the third song called it a day, however, I was having trouble even feigning interest. Luckily, “Dakapokalypse” stirs up the pot with its driven pace and energetic musicianship. I must admit that I like all the solos flying every which way, proving that The 4Q Mangrenade is not entirely devoid of skill. It’s not cerebral by any measure – as if you expected it to be – and after “Dakapokalypse” halts its attack, Driller Killer return to the same formulas they utilized beforehand. Too bad. “Today of the Dead” uses similar elements, though, and is one of the more enjoyable outings on the whole disc. Sadly, there’s no finale as the remainder is just plain formulaic and commonplace.

If you’ve done the math, then you’ll know that there are two great songs scattered amongst 10 others. The others, as I’ve pointed out not in so many words, aren’t worth your time. This may be Driller Killer’s seventh album, but The 4Q Mangrenade has so much working against it that I can’t fathom anyone liking it, much less loving it. For now, it seems as if they’re swimming against the tide, and in turn inching closer and closer to their inevitable drowning.

3/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Osmose Productions Website