Drop D help please!

smilexelectric

New Metal Member
Oct 21, 2005
I have searched google and tryed tuning it the way they say it but it doesn't seem right.

Please help

Josh

If you have a digital tuner this should be a piece of cake. The low E string is tuned down a whole step, to D. Fret the D on the A string (5th fret) to get the sound if you don't have a tuner.

Lightly tap the metal part of the 12th fret of the low-E string. This will ring out a bell-type sound (harmonic, in case you don't know) that you can use to tune to your d-string.

Guh

What I find to be the quickest way is to play your E string at the 7th fret and open A string then tune down E string until you get the same note

it works for me! i tune it an octave lower of course. i tune the low E to the D until the sound doesn't waver any more.

ranma187 said:
it works for me! i tune it an octave lower of course. i tune the low E to the D until the sound doesn't waver any more.

Ah. Muy intersante. I thought you just meant you tuned it and played it to the high D string. Silly me.

chris-o-fer said:
Here's an easy way:
1. BAR (place your finger) across fret 2 on E and fret 2 on A.
2. Strum
3. Tune your low E lower until the sound is the same on both 2nd frets (no waves)
:)
Uh, no, that will turn out wrong. You don't want "the same sound" as in the same note. The A string should obviously be a 5th higher than the E, that's the entire point of using drop D tuning. My way of using open A string and 7th fret on E string means you will tune to the same note.

I disagree there's probly metal bands you know that play drop d and they are good bands. hell, some use 7 string guitars.

BlackMetalTyrant said:
just tune in D standard, drop D is for trendy fucks.
I really fail to see how using a different tuning could make the music any more trendy

I mean sure it makes it easier to play mindless chugga riffs but I've written some songs in drop D (because they used a lot of stuff in the key of D minor or so and it made it much easier) that I doubt you would find anywhere close to "trendy"