Tips on recording vocal tracks

midevil elf

Dec 15, 2004
Hi. First, u must consider that I am new to recording stuff and I only have a small digital 8 track recorder. I need tips on how to make the vocals "fit" with the rest of the music. Everything is in key and ive tryed some chorus and reverb effects but something still doesnt sound right...the vocals seem hollow and just sound like a separate piece of music. Should I add backing vocals or do some overdubs to give them a fuller sound? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It would help a lot if you posted clips so we could hear exactly what you're talking about. It's probably just a matter of getting them to sit in the mix properly.

What kind of mic are you using? I myself use a cheapo mic for my scratch vocals and they sound hollow like that too. But when I do the final recording I use a good mic. Makes a world of difference.

well it all depends on the type of mic,. the type of room, the distance from the mic, and your ability to do the vocals.

a tip is to add chorus and reverb definatly after, but compression will help a good recording sound louder and more full, but if it is a shitty recording compression will bring the shit up with it....

Use EQ. I don't know what your 8-track will let you do, but try boosting the 1khz-2khz range, and cutting everything below 200hz. Play around with it and see what you like.

Meandor said:
Use EQ. I don't know what your 8-track will let you do, but try boosting the 1khz-2khz range, and cutting everything below 200hz. Play around with it and see what you like.

You shouldn't say "cut everything below 200hz", prior to knowing what he's recording. Man's speech has important frequencys in the 100-150hz range, women is in the 175-225hz range and children around 300hz. Some opera singers (especially a couple of russian ones) can hit really low frequencys!

My sugestions are: Use a little reverb and delay (not to much though) to help fullen/fatten and put the voice on top of the mix. Also boost the frequencies around 2khz til you start to get the results you're looking for.