Dropouts when attempting to record...

Unavailable

May 28, 2006
Bay Area, CA
I'm using Sonar 6 with a Firepod and most times I begin recording, there is a dropout, so I end up pressing record anywhere from 2 to 6 times to get it to work correctly. After that, it's fine and rarely drops out until I stop that track and begin recording again.

I am on a laptop, and my theory is that it may be the hard drive not being fast enough... But I don't know. My CPU and HD meters rarely peak 50%, too.

Any ideas?

I'm not familiar with presonus drivers personally but if your using a pc you might want to try disabling onboard sound as well as your wireless adapter from the device manager. I've also heard of firewire adapter chipset incompatibility with presonus gear. The preferred chipset for nearly all audio equipment is Texas Instruments.

I'm not familiar with presonus drivers personally but if your using a pc you might want to try disabling onboard sound as well as your wireless adapter from the device manager. I've also heard of firewire adapter chipset incompatibility with presonus gear. The preferred chipset for nearly all audio equipment is Texas Instruments.

Yeah, I'm using an expresscard with a TI chipset.

I'll try disabling onboard.

Oh and Guitargod, I don't know if it's a CPU spike, but this happens 95% of the time as I begin to record.

Check your list of network adapters for a "1394 connection" and disable it if it's there

You got an external drive there you can try? If the hard drive can't keep up then it's likely to drop out when you are trying to get it recording simply because it can't write the data fast enough as you said. Because if you think about it its going to have a lot of data transfer when you start recording as it writes all the new files, once its going I imagine its less stressful on resources because it just writes whatever comes through.

I tried running a project on a firewire external and it was worse. Getting a new one this week though, because that last one simply died on me. I'll see what happens then.