CPU Usage in Relation to Specific Interfaces

Uladyne

Greg
Oct 20, 2006
Oregon Coast
I got my new interface last week (Focusrite Saffire Pro40). Though I haven't had much of a chance to really record with it yet, (too much shit going on) I have noticed that I can't play any of my more complex projects anymore without severe dropout problems. I've played with the buffer settings, and different "safe modes" that the interface has, to try to make things as stable as possible regardless of the latency, but I'm still having dropouts left and right. It's quite annoying that I can't work on any of the projects I was working before without bouncing down a bunch of tracks.

I went to the focusrite website and followed their optimization tips for windows xp, and downloaded the firewire hotfix for xp to no avail.

Is this just an issue of the firepod needing far less CPU resources to run smoothly and me getting a little too used to what it let me get away with? Or is there some little trick I'm not thinking of?

I'm using Sonar 7 Producer Edition BTW.

Probably a driver issue, there are definitely differences between interfaces in how efficiently the drivers are coded, and since its so new, I guess they have to iron out some of the kinks - they'll probably issue an update soon though, I guess all you can do is email 'em and light a fire under their ass!