Droppin 3gs on a new PC..advice?

Zorran

Dec 1, 2006
hello everyone,

i will soon have about $3k to spend on a new computer.. right now i have a singlecore 3.2 ghz with 4 gb ram, asus mboard etc. i just bought a fireface 800, so any input with regards to this would be appreciated.

anyone have any general advice with regards to hardware/software? i have been looking at stuff like quad cores, 2 x Xeon dual cores etc. i dont use any firewire hard drives, i will be using just the ff800..and maybe a nice 22" :Smokin:

i also gotta say thanks to everyone on this forum..alot of yout posts have helped in my decision to go with the ff!

cheers,
zorran:Smokedev:

Intel Core2Duo E6600
2 to 4 gb of your fave 533mhz RAM (Corsair and OCZ are seen as winners)
Gigabyte 965P-DS3P
Thermaltake Toughpower 600w (or whatever wattage you think you'd need)

The rest is more or less inconsequential. Basically just get a fairly small system drive (mine is 80gb) and a large storage drive for your projects. You can use a RAID0 configuration if you want to seriously increase the speed of either, but that takes some tweaking work and extra HDDs.

At the moment I don't really see the point of getting a quad core system. I've only ever taxed my E6600 to 50% in projects, and that's after everything's been applied. That's when I'm running amp sims in real time, as well as various instances of drum replacement apps in real-time also. As they say down here, the focus shouldn't be on how many plug-ins you can apply to each track, but how little.

You don't really have to spend all that much. I think given that you guys in the states get hardware for even cheaper than we do.. and right now it's dirt cheap even here, you can probably save up for a 30" screen or something. Your core PC hardware doesn't need to cost you much at all.

Most boards with the 965 chipset are dirt cheap, and rock solid after a year or so of BIOS revisions. Can't really go wrong with the Core2Duo chips. Even if you get a cheap one, it'll still happily overclock your pants off.

I suppose you could use your excess cash to try to locate a quiet case, and get some aftermarket fans which push a lot of air at low dBA readings. I'm personally running a Scythe Ninja+ CPU fan, which is nice and quiet (has a 120mm fan blowing air onto it... speed is adjustable). The Nexus fans are great options too for case cooling etc.

+1

your life on the computer will be much easier. i don't miss my pc EVER!

+1

I bought a macbook pro a few months ago, it's the best thing i've ever bought in my life. EVER. Not to mention you can run windows natively with boot camp so if you want to run any windows programs its still great. The specifications on the newest mac's are also really good.

It really hurts me to say it, but mac's are so much better, after years and years of thinking the opposite. I'll never go back now.

hello guys, i guess i shouldve mentioned that i dont really want to go with mac. im familiar with windows, and i run nuendo. i wouldnt get a mac to run windows either. ive always liked pc, and my current pc has not crashed on me yet. im happy with its performance, but sometimes i max out at about 70 tracks with plugins. id like to go upto 120 etc with ease. i use alot of compression, eq..4 reverbs..5 delays..i need the power :(

so far it seems like dual cores are the way to go..especially since DAWs arent upto scratch with more cores yet..i guess. also does the brand of ram make a huge difference?

Moonlapse told everything ... Core2Duo is great for music applications!

Yeah. You'll get more reliable ram and tighter timings if you go with a name brand like OCZ or Corsair. There are varying degrees of quality with each of the brands, so it's good to scope all their offerings out. High-end overclock/gaming quality RAM will cost a fortune, just as generic, high-latency RAM will cost pocket change, haha.

Check out Sonicalabs.com, they also sell RME products and will setup your new compter specifically for any interface you want.

Get a Mac Pro dude...if you have 3 grand, you might as well spend it on the computer that is most used by music professionals

wow....that's gotta be my first -1, and for a statement that's generally accepted as fact around here

boggady moogady lodi dodi, PC's we like ta party, we don't cause trouble, we don't bother nobody.