Drum machines! whats the big deal?

Thumpcrush

OGR DJ
Jan 8, 2008
Blunt Columbia Canada
Okay First off I am a grindcore drummer. I play fast lots of double kick etc. But I've also used a drum machine for recording stuff cuz it just sounds good. so Whats the deal With the drum machine haters? Is it just the sythetic sound? cuz that can be tweaked and fixed to sound pretty fuckin close to real or is it a purist thing?

I guess the reason I'm asking is this: I feel If your a true artist you use everthing thats out there to make the music you want to hear regardless of attitude etc. Personally it's a no brainer for me.

So drum machine haters/lovers sound off cuz I don't get it.

banner2copy-1.jpg

the robotic precision can be annoying - no mistakes can mean lifeless. Also, the thing doesn't sound too good a lot of the time. Most people don't have a big problem with them, but I think most would agree that live drums are preferable...

it all depends on how they are mixed, if done right you'll never really hear the difference. Zitoid the Omniscient is a good example

Yup, all in the mixing and how good the samples are. I couldn't tell that Persuader used them on their last album until I was told. The only thing that bothers me sometimes is the kick. If you don't have a good kick, it really hurts the sound. And the hi-hat can be annoying at times too.

I definetely prefer live drums compared to a drum machine. But, in my position a drum machine is more convenient since I live somewhere I can't set up my kit. Doesn't sound too bad when I record and I get my ideas down.

sometimes you can't find a live drummer. That is why people use drum machines...I've never heard of anyone preferring a drum machine over live drums.

Well I hate to disappoint some people out there but chances are your favorite bands are using some form of a drum machine when they record. Essentially what they do is record the live drums...in pieces (which is easier) or altogether...then go back in there with software (very very good software that costs lots and lots of money..haha.) and find all the sound waves of each drum...for example the bass drum lets says. Then they move the sound wave to a metronome grid. That way there's perfect timing. Then they go back in and replace all of the sound waves with "synthetic" drum sounds. So in the end what you're listening to is a quote unquote drum machine in perfect timing. All the drummers are doing is telling the producer where shit is supposed to be. Now that may or may not be true for EVERY drummer...but a good part of professional bands out there do this. And I have to disagree with what WeAreInFlames said about no mistakes means lifeless....there ain't a chance in hell a drummer is gonna release an album with a mistake on it. There ain't a chance in hell a good producer would let a mistake slip by. Now lifeless....perhaps...but I'd say it's more a tone thing that gives it that lifeless sound.

i don't mean mistakes, I mean just a smidgeon out of time.
As far as a producer letting a mistake go by, that's true. Thing is, a lot underground metal bands self-produce, or don't have the budget for this expensive software, or can't afford studio time to fix errors, or whatever...so, plenty of mistakes make it onto albums.

The trick it to be able to tune, mic and mix drums so you have a real life sound that is far superior to drum machines. Drum machines just sound processed. I dont think theres eras or slight timing issues with professional drummers, it simply sounds real and IS REAL. I can understand drummers using it as a tool but come on, electronic drums are not that expensive and at least then your getting a workout & practicing too and not bothering anybody. Unless the bass pedals rattle the floor and someone lives below you.

I think drum machines are great for writing music. I use a program called Drumsite myself. Not the greatest thing, but the samples are good and with proper mixing i can make them sound like anything. The problem I have with it, is like some people said, it is too perfect, and sometimes it's hard to reproduce "groovy" rhythms or off-beat things.

i prefer live drums, but i dont really have a problem with a drum machine

Agreed, but sometimes you can't find a drummer. Also, you can make the drum machine sounds like an real drum, just check out Solens Rötter from Vintersorg ^^

I use drum machines cause I don't have a drummer. I'm bassist, guitarist and keyboardist, but not a drummer TT_TT

As long as the outcome is good, I could give less of a shit what tweaks were used in making the music.