Drum Map workaround for Pro Tools users

AdamWathan

Apr 12, 2002
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
For everyone bummed about not being able to name or rearrange notes in the piano roll I present you this...
protoolsdrums.jpg

Created an instrument track for every piece of the kit, set the display to "Single Note" and selected the note according to the SSD mapping in my case, and then routed the MIDI from all those tracks to a single instrument track containing the SSD Player. Works like a charm and now I can see the names of everything I'm programming as well as rearrange them in any order I wish.

Adam Wathan said:
Created an instrument track for every piece of the kit, set the display to "Single Note" and selected the note according to the SSD mapping in my case, and then routed the MIDI from all those tracks to a single instrument track containing the SSD Player. Works like a charm and now I can see the names of everything I'm programming as well as rearrange them in any order I wish.

;)

You could also just remap to rearrange, right? Not like that's the fastest process in the world of course

Well you can't remap within the SSD player itself, you would have to somehow have a stage between the MIDI track and the instrument that sends the notes to different notes... This is way easier plus you can have everything labeled. Finally I can program drums in PT instead of in Reaper! :lol:

Next step is to make multisamples of all my cymbals tomorrow and make a new template using apTrigga for everything... Just going to set up the kit, put up a pair of overheads and record all the samples in stereo so they are already panned and what not. Should sound pretty natural I think!

Well you can't remap within the SSD player itself, you would have to somehow have a stage between the MIDI track and the instrument that sends the notes to different notes

Jesus that's retarded, must be another reason everyone hates Kontakt!

Next step is to make multisamples of all my cymbals tomorrow and make a new template using apTrigga for everything... Just going to set up the kit, put up a pair of overheads and record all the samples in stereo so they are already panned and what not. Should sound pretty natural I think!

Fucking awesome dude - planning on sharing? :D

awesome post!

looks good on the surface

problem is, doesnt have drum map features

ever used o-note conversion? well you will when someone brings you a whole album made on "DRUMMZ_4_DUMMIEZ" or EZ-DRUMEMRE

yeah, o-note conversion is the shittttttttt

I've been doing it like this for the last couple years, Adam... except I use midi tracks and route them to a stereo Instrument track.

Good idea to share this, though... it never occurred to me.:kickass:

I originally used MIDI tracks but couldn't figure out how to route the MIDI internally, I had already moved to instrument tracks before I found the separate MIDI i/o that I had to get it to show. I will definitely switch it back to MIDI tracks, no point in having instrument tracks without instruments on em! Thanks for that!

O-note Conversion? Dude even Google doesn't know what you're talking about :lol: got a link or anything? Curious about what this is!

o-note conversion (stands for output note conversion)
is a feature where you take a drum map (c1 = kick, d1 = snare) and give it new output notes (c1 = c#1, d1 = e3, etc) and you can right click on a midi file and click o-note conversion

so when i get tons of different drum parts from different programs, i can quickly convert them to my drum map / or whatever im using

although this is rare, its useful as crap

edit: actually its not that rare, i've used it on 3 different songs in the past 2 weeks

does pt have a way to send all of those midi tracks to one instrument? i use kontakt like as a multi

yep. u just set each midi channel to a different kontakt midi lane (example it would be labled something like... "kontakt 3-1/kontakt 3-2" or if you don't want it to be different midi lanes you just set them all to the same one.