Drum mic clips

Executioner213

Ultimate Meatbag
Sep 2, 2001
Spokane, WA
www.facebook.com
I am wondering what the favorite for drum mic clips is around these parts.

Seems like the toss up is between the one Audix has and the one Shure has. Whats everyones preference here? Input is welcome. Or, do you all say "fuck drum clips" and go with boom stands all over the place?

def. use boom stands if possible

i was using those audix clips for a while because i was tracking drums in a super-dinky room, and by the end of one song, the mics would always be pointing down a lot farther than they were when we started.

the drooping wasn't ever too bad with D2's and D4 since they're smaller, but the i5 on snare was constantly sagging on me

I just found this, maybe this is a go-between solution:

SS023.jpg

http://www.interstatemusic.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10051&productId=40197032&langId=-1#

The ones i use are the audix and Shure ones- the shure ones are more solid but the audix goose neck things are more flexible. I have had problems with those moving between takes, its a complete bitch when you realise whats after happening at the end of a long session.

I suppose i prefer the shure ones

moving between takes, and also moving every time the drum is hit. creates a wah like effect, because the distance between the skin and the mic changes when the drum is hit (the mic sways) the effect is hard to hear, but is still there.

moving between takes, and also moving every time the drum is hit. creates a wah like effect, because the distance between the skin and the mic changes when the drum is hit (the mic sways) the effect is hard to hear, but is still there.

Using that logic then clips are better than stands. Clips will move when the drum moves, but if you use stands, hitting the drum causes the shell to vibrate and move a little while the mic stays in the exact same place...

That's true F0RBIDDEN - which is why I think people are mistaken when they think the problem with clip-on stands is the mic moving with the drum. Rather, I think it's because the vibration traveling through the shell makes its way into the stand and the mic, causing phase cancellation when combined with the direct miced signal (I've experienced this first hand when mic'ing up my cab when it was directly on the ground). But some clips, like the Audix D-vices, seem like they'd be pretty isolated because of the gooseneck...