Drum pre-prep for expensive studio session.

Dec 29, 2008
I'm going into a major studio here in the next few days and as I guy who doesn't usually do a ton of drums, I could use a quick refresher course. Just mics and distances, i.e. thinking of using an Audix i5 two or so finger widths from the drum head angled in at about 55 degrees toward just outside of center. Stuff like that.

As the kick is one of my main concerns, I was thinking NS10M driver wired in reverse outside the shell a bit back from the front head and an Audix D6 or a Shure Beta 52 internally couple inches off the beater. Thinking of doing sample replacement on the kick as well, so any good isolation tips anyone cares to share would be awesome.

Thinking KM84s or KM184s on the OH's two to three feet up string-measured for equal distance from snare center. Is this sound?

Also as room sound is a secondary concern, about four feet off of a corner for some bass buildup or more toward room center. Discuss.

I know if any group of drummers can jump start my alcohol clouded memory, YOUSE are the GUISE.

The most important thing about recording drums is the drums, room and drummer. Mic's are really a secondary concern. Get fresh skins on, tune them REALLY well and make sure the drummer plays good and you should be golden as long as the room doesn't completely stink. If you're not sure about tuning and the drummer isn't brilliant at it either then bring in someone who can really tune a kit, bribe him with beer. If the kit is well tuned then it doesn't matter if its 57's/I5's/604's/m201's WHATEVER. If the drums sound good on their own they'll sound good through just about any mic.

As far as mic placement goes, I actually like to get the mic's as far away from the drum as I can without too much spill, having the mic's too close can make everthing sound a bit dead in my experience. Mess around with positioning to get the most isolation you can.

If you can borrow some triggers from someone then do it. They might save your ass come mix time.

Never mic the snare at too much of an angle, and always have it a bit further out than the side of the rim, If not I find it just sounds dull and thud like without the crack. All in my opinion of course.

Joe

I'm going into a major studio here in the next few days and as I guy who doesn't usually do a ton of drums, I could use a quick refresher course. Just mics and distances, i.e. thinking of using an Audix i5 two or so finger widths from the drum head angled in at about 55 degrees toward just outside of center. Stuff like that.

As the kick is one of my main concerns, I was thinking NS10M driver wired in reverse outside the shell a bit back from the front head and an Audix D6 or a Shure Beta 52 internally couple inches off the beater. Thinking of doing sample replacement on the kick as well, so any good isolation tips anyone cares to share would be awesome.

Thinking KM84s or KM184s on the OH's two to three feet up string-measured for equal distance from snare center. Is this sound?

Also as room sound is a secondary concern, about four feet off of a corner for some bass buildup or more toward room center. Discuss.

I know if any group of drummers can jump start my alcohol clouded memory, YOUSE are the GUISE.

Where are you tracking? or where did you track?