Drum replacing workflow, samples over SD2

aviel

Aug 2, 2011
can you share your workflow? i use SD 2 for all of my drums, but manyh times i feel the snare and kicks are very limited.. cant get much out of them.
specially getting hard time to get a good snare sound with large snare room sound.

i though of using some sample that i got/bought from here over my superior drums. what is your workflow for this? can combining sifferent rooms and kit piece sound real in any way? do you just use your superior iutput to trigger things like srumagog or stuff? i am specially cuious about snare, and snare room sounds.

thanks!

yup i have. i am programming the drums. the thing is that i am not satisified with snare sound

If you're replacing drums and are using Pro Tools, I'd look into Massey's DRT. It's the best detection/sample replacer I've ever used.

If you're looking to trigger non-S2.0 sounds with midi, look into something like Structure or Kontakt. Trigger has midi-in, but there's a bug that randomly introduces delay.

What I do is, first I run everything through Addictive Drums, using a completely raw kit, then I build multi-channel routing for each mic, then with that, I slap Trigger on each shell, and trigger the raw sounds (I have to heavily EQ the kick and toms most of the time, they're so boomy when unprocessed the waveform looks like a big-ass triangle).

i did tried layering for a few times, but it always resulted in strange things. i am never able to get a nice space from those drums, specially in the snare area. i fins that kick and snare samples posted here on the forums are much better.

dominggo, i will have a go on those, thanks!

Yeah watch Ola's tutorial. Basically you just send your snare mic out of a different output in superior, set up an aux track in your DAW that the snare will now go through, and stick Trigger/ drumagog on that track, and it will replace it just like any other snare track...

play with the internal mixer. for example you can drop everything but the snare on the room channels, bus them together and comp. that way the snare room is dominant and driving the comp very naturally, like if you had a room that reflected a lot of midrange. w/ metal foundry the only thing i really feel like replacing is the kick. Avatar and TMF kicks are both very "plastic" and don't go too well with their own toms, no matter what processing i do i just end up with that same old crappy boxy periphery sounding abomination of a kick drum. also, the Avatar snares are way more awesome than the TMF ones, Avatar studios just got a way better sounding room than Dug Out studios. so I often end up layering an Avatar snare on top of something from the TMF library. so there is loads to get out of SD2, just drumagog the kick 100% (auto align off) and play around. glhf

play with the internal mixer. for example you can drop everything but the snare on the room channels, bus them together and comp. that way the snare room is dominant and driving the comp very naturally, like if you had a room that reflected a lot of midrange. w/ metal foundry the only thing i really feel like replacing is the kick. Avatar and TMF kicks are both very "plastic" and don't go too well with their own toms, no matter what processing i do i just end up with that same old crappy boxy periphery sounding abomination of a kick drum. also, the Avatar snares are way more awesome than the TMF ones, Avatar studios just got a way better sounding room than Dug Out studios. so I often end up layering an Avatar snare on top of something from the TMF library. so there is loads to get out of SD2, just drumagog the kick 100% (auto align off) and play around. glhf

Do you mean buss all the room channels together and put a compressor on them? driven by the snare?

RTMFM

You can adjust how much of the kit is in your room mics in the mixer, under the "bleed" function. Give your room mics more snare..bus to group comp.