Drum Reverb

Matt Smith

THEOCRACY
Jun 11, 2004
Athens, GA
www.theocracymusic.com
OK, I'm always getting frustrated with something or other about my mixes that needs to be improved, and the latest culprit is drum verb. I know Andy uses DVerb, but I don't have ProTools, so that's out (besides, I'm sure getting that sound out of DVerb is about 5% DVerb and about 95% Andy). I just can't quite get it there with the plugs I've tried. Any tips/tricks/recommended verbs (plugs or outboard)? Do you guys EQ your returns a lot, etc.?
FWIW, that Doomsday Machine snare verb is about the ultimate in my book. Sometimes I just play that first 5 seconds or so of Taking Back My Soul over and over because I'm gay like that.

Speaking of drum verb does anyone care to break down some techniques they use.

Do you verb the OH's
Do you verb the Toms's
Do you buss everything to one buss and use one verb on the whole kit
Do you use the same verb types for toms, oh's, snare

Anything really

Thank

Chad

Yeah, that taking back my soul is just incredible..that intro..
I wish I could get my snare sound any close to that album..well actually I mean more my whole kit :)

Ow...also listen to Hybrids of Steel, somewhere in the intro Daniel does a fill with toms and snare and check that verb out..it's insane!

egan. said:
I've not used those but I own a 990 which I've found to be pretty useable. Out of curiosity do they compare (if you've used both)?

Nope. The SPX90 is a totally different animal. It's way trashier sounding than the 990. The 990 and 1000's are great fucking units, though. I don't know exactly which one it is for sure, but one of those puppies has a L,C,R delay - which is pretty damn cool. Both those and the REV7 are on the higher end of Yamaha's studio reverb units. The REV7 is cool, but I always found the verbs on that to be too smooth and pretty for rock drum sounds. I always liked using those on strings and bg vox. Those buttons on the front are a bitch, though....and don't forget to mind the eq!

If you wanna move up to a higher end piece that rules for drums, check out the PCM-70. It's a classic unit, and you may instantly recognize the verb presets since they're on thousands of classic recordings. There's only two words that you need to know for heavy drum reverb when using this - Tiled Room. Take my word for it. Of course, getting even more pricey you could move up to a 224 or 480. I never really liked those things for some reason. The LARC is fun, though.

But this may possibly be the greatest drum reverb of all time -

http://cgi.ebay.com/AMS-RMX-16-RMX-...ryZ23790QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

One of a kind sound. These things used to retail for around 10k brand new. And yes, that is the same AMS as in AMS/Neve.