Lack of depth in ITB mixes.

Seizure.

Jul 13, 2005
holland
www.seizure-music.com
Dudes, (possible) dudettes!,

Lately i've had some trouble gettings some serious depth in my recordings.

I'm talking the kind of depth were the Snare and iets verb is clear hearable and has it own "room" in the mix so to say, same with toms etc...

Alot of Toby wright procutions have this, for example, just a nice space for the snare alone!

I've allready made some progress by getting more precise with the room i'm giving instruments in the frequency range, and also by using more Fx/verb sends instead of putting it on the instrument itself and widening the reverb.

Something i read about in this article btw:
http://digido.com/portal/pmodule_id=11/pmdmode=fullscreen/pageadder_page_id=32/
which was allready realy helpfull.

But still i'm having some trouble getting depth in my recordings, especially guitars always seem kind of in the middle eventhough they are often panned hard L/R.

What do think are the main reasons?

To much digital processing?
Lack of good analog equipment?
Converters? (i have a emu 1212m myself)
Too much limiting/compressing?
using to much different verbs? should working with just 2 verb sends ( 1 short , 1 long) give me better results?
Is using more double mono plug ins better than stereo plugs?

Should i "mix in/make space" for my reverbs?

Or is it just plain crap mixing?

I would like to here anyones view on this?:)

After also searching on some other forums i found out that using double mono eq's and compressors on stereo tracks and my mixbus helps ALOT in getting the depth i want!

i'm still looking for some good double mono compressor though. anyone have a suggestion?

Seizure. said:
After also searching on some other forums i found out that using double mono eq's and compressors on stereo tracks and my mixbus helps ALOT in getting the depth i want!

i'm still looking for some good double mono compressor though. anyone have a suggestion?

Could you explain the concept behind this?

Seizure. said:
how do you know this?

Keiffer said:
how do you know this?

I think he is reffering to the "Multi-Mono" plug-in option in protools. Not sure if other DAWs have the same function..I'm sure they do.

For example you put a stereo compressor on your drum buss. If there's a loud crash on the left side, the right side will be pull down as well, even though the peak is really only on the left side. With multimono, the left/right channels are compressed separately, yielding a different sound.

C_F_H_13 said:
I think he is reffering to the "Multi-Mono" plug-in option in protools. Not sure if other DAWs have the same function..I'm sure they do.

For example you put a stereo compressor on your drum buss. If there's a loud crash on the left side, the right side will be pull down as well, even though the peak is really only on the left side. With multimono, the left/right channels are compressed separately, yielding a different sound.
I was asking how he knows this adds depth.

this is easy enough to do though not as convenient... just send the stereo buss to two aux busses and treat them separately.

PSP MasterComp and Vintage Warmer have delinking features.

Razorjack said:
It's all down to mixing, seriously. Is there a lack of depth in Andy's ITB mixes? Or the thousands of other albums released each year mixed almost entirely ITB?

That's what it's all about.