Drum sample help

dustinfeltner

New Metal Member
Apr 7, 2011
Hey,
I just purchased the truth black and gold snare and I have one question.
It comes with 5-6 hits for heavy, med, soft ect.
Are these different hits all-together, or different mics recording the same hits?
Sorry if this question seems dumb...lol

Thanks!

same mics... different hits.

the kontakt round robin script cycles through the different samples at the triggered velocity layer... for a more realistic effect.

I didnt know you could trigger Joeys samples through Kontakt? Or through SSD anyway? How do you do it?

I dont know if this is this is the easiest way but I grabbed the downloaded Kontakt instrument files not the multi's but the individual instruments and just imported them in to the right instrument libraries by dragging and dropping them in to the respective SSD instrument files... as in high and low truth/gold toms into the SSD tom instrument folder and continue the process for the all the pieces of the kit that you used...

then while in SSD you can customize a kit by adding the sturgis samples/instruments which are now in the SSD player instrument folders... and blend to taste

I've found that its awesome easier to pull up say the slate hybrid kit and then replace the kit pieces as if your not familiar with the outputting of Kontakt pulling up the hybrid kit will give you all the outputs...

assuming of course you have already set-up the multi-out in kontakt and your respective daw/host software

I dont know if this is this is the easiest way but I grabbed the downloaded Kontakt instrument files not the multi's but the individual instruments and just imported them in to the right instrument libraries by dragging and dropping them in to the respective SSD instrument files... as in high and low truth/gold toms into the SSD tom instrument folder and continue the process for the all the pieces of the kit that you used...

then while in SSD you can customize a kit by adding the sturgis samples/instruments which are now in the SSD player instrument folders... and blend to taste

I've found that its awesome easier to pull up say the slate hybrid kit and then replace the kit pieces as if your not familiar with the outputting of Kontakt pulling up the hybrid kit will give you all the outputs...

assuming of course you have already set-up the multi-out in kontakt and your respective daw/host software

What! It's that easy in SSD? God damn, I need to get it! I have S2.0 :( That's what I thought replacing samples with programmed drums would be like - more drag and drop, but turns out its not.

What! It's that easy in SSD? God damn, I need to get it! I have S2.0 :( That's what I thought replacing samples with programmed drums would be like - more drag and drop, but turns out its not.

That's what I thought too... when I bought $100 worth of sturgis only to find the cheapest best program to replace the drums is SSD EX 99 for digital download...

I have S2.0 as well... now here's the part that really sucks... you'll have to spend an additional 49.99 to get the EZ player which you can use with SSD to be able to utilize all the awesomeness of the EZ drummer grooves unless you know how to create your own drum maps...

Another alternative is to get accoustica beat craft which easier then EZ drummer to manipulate because in my opinion the interface is straight keep it simple stupid and allows you to basically program your own drums with a fruity loops style plug in and play but it does not support midi...

As in say you want to do a cover on you can import the midi drum track from guitarpro or tux guitar and boom your done drums are there for you...

Which is why toontrack products are amazing because you can import midi from anywhere...

That's what I thought too... when I bought $100 worth of sturgis only to find the cheapest best program to replace the drums is SSD EX 99 for digital download...

I have S2.0 as well... now here's the part that really sucks... you'll have to spend an additional 49.99 to get the EZ player which you can use with SSD to be able to utilize all the awesomeness of the EZ drummer grooves unless you know how to create your own drum maps...

Another alternative is to get accoustica beat craft which easier then EZ drummer to manipulate because in my opinion the interface is straight keep it simple stupid and allows you to basically program your own drums with a fruity loops style plug in and play but it does not support midi...

As in say you want to do a cover on you can import the midi drum track from guitarpro or tux guitar and boom your done drums are there for you...

Which is why toontrack products are amazing because you can import midi from anywhere...

That's why I have Superior ... I program my drums in GP5, then drag and drop and voila! Drum track achieved. However, it seems that drum track is less than idea. Luckily all the Sturgis samples will probably end up costing me only around $60 for a sexy new drum kit (cymbals included), but replacement seems like it's going to be a bit of a pain.

That's why I have Superior ... I program my drums in GP5, then drag and drop and voila! Drum track achieved. However, it seems that drum track is less than idea. Luckily all the Sturgis samples will probably end up costing me only around $60 for a sexy new drum kit (cymbals included), but replacement seems like it's going to be a bit of a pain.

Your best long-term solution would probably be to get SSD and the EZ PLAYER... that would give you the flexibility and control because you can multi-out the included kontakt player which will allow to mix down every instrument track as well as import MIDI and replace drums

Your best long-term solution would probably be to get SSD and the EZ PLAYER... that would give you the flexibility and control because you can multi-out the included kontakt player which will allow to mix down every instrument track as well as import MIDI and replace drums

Well, I'd rather not spend the (at least $100) on SSD if I'm just going to replace the samples with Sturgis.
But EZplayer I'm a little confused about. I was watching the short videos on the site... so I upload my drum MIDI into it, and the program splits up type of drum (Snare, Kick, Crash 1, Crash 2, China, etc etc etc etc)... and from there can I decide which part of the drum goes to which program? So I can make each cymbal/drum a Kontakt instrument which triggers one of the Sturgis samples?

EDIT: and can I edit velocities easily in EZ Player? As .... EZ ..... as it is in the one that comes with cubase?

Well, I'd rather not spend the (at least $100) on SSD if I'm just going to replace the samples with Sturgis.
But EZplayer I'm a little confused about. I was watching the short videos on the site... so I upload my drum MIDI into it, and the program splits up type of drum (Snare, Kick, Crash 1, Crash 2, China, etc etc etc etc)... and from there can I decide which part of the drum goes to which program? So I can make each cymbal/drum a Kontakt instrument which triggers one of the Sturgis samples?

EDIT: and can I edit velocities easily in EZ Player? As .... EZ ..... as it is in the one that comes with cubase?

Basically, You use slate to replace the drum samples and you use the ez player to create and or play the midi tracks that you've created for each track... as far as velocities yes you can you do it with the individual midi notes while in the EZ player plug-in its the best option man... But for the most your days of superior drummer are pretty much gone... if you want to use the Sturgis samples...

youve moved up now and you should continue to do so... In my opinion there's is no better combination SSD + Sturgis Samples + Ez player + waves = incredibly realistic and awesomely flexible and flawless drum programming...

I'm not familiar with Drum-a-gog which will cost more but apparently its like all of the above in one...

Basically, You use slate to replace the drum samples and you use the ez player to create and or play the midi tracks that you've created for each track... as far as velocities yes you can you do it with the individual midi notes while in the EZ player plug-in its the best option man... But for the most your days of superior drummer are pretty much gone... if you want to use the Sturgis samples...

youve moved up now and you should continue to do so... In my opinion there's is no better combination SSD + Sturgis Samples + Ez player + waves = incredibly realistic and awesomely flexible and flawless drum programming...

I'm not familiar with Drum-a-gog which will cost more but apparently its like all of the above in one...

Damn! Well keep in mind I still haven't bought the Sturgis samples yet. When I get out of school, that's when I'm going on a purchase-fest... within a budget of course. Seems the RAM upgrade and SM7b aren't going to happen unless I can pick up a summer job ......
Can SSD replace Cymbals too? I was thinking ... get any of the "drum replacement" programs and do the following: Route everything but the overheads to separate channels on EZDrummer. Well, route the overheads too, but mute them. Use a sample replacement to replace snare, kick, toms. And for cymbals... well heres where it gets ghetto. Make sure each cymbal has its own MIDI track, and use Kontakt from there.
This approach seemingly would work... but would it be missing out on realism?

Damn! Well keep in mind I still haven't bought the Sturgis samples yet. When I get out of school, that's when I'm going on a purchase-fest... within a budget of course. Seems the RAM upgrade and SM7b aren't going to happen unless I can pick up a summer job ......
Can SSD replace Cymbals too? I was thinking ... get any of the "drum replacement" programs and do the following: Route everything but the overheads to separate channels on EZDrummer. Well, route the overheads too, but mute them. Use a sample replacement to replace snare, kick, toms. And for cymbals... well heres where it gets ghetto. Make sure each cymbal has its own MIDI track, and use Kontakt from there.
This approach seemingly would work... but would it be missing out on realism?

Well let me let you in on a well known secret steven slate does samples for everybody and everybody uses his samples... the steven slate ex comes with probably all you need to do wat trying to do and most of joeys early stuff was using slate samples... before he started doing his own...they are realistic and sound amazing... joeys cymbals sound the closest to the real thing but slates are a close second... you will never be able to perfectly make samples sound as good as real overheard... close but in a blind comparison you'll always be able to tell the difference...

Which is why everyone uses real overheads...

And you will not be able to route replacement drums to the ez drummer individual tracks unless you have say drumagog, slate trigger, aptriggam... etc... id say get ssd ex or the ssd with the expansion which comes... with the ex drum kits plus to slate expansions and you could use the metal expansion to get an extremely good kit sound... and then get the ez player to player your mdid through ssd...

Ssd isn't like EZ drummmer... you basically buying his samples and a player no grooves so to speak... it contains some but I personally like dfh's a litle more you will however to access the grooves from you toontrack and ssd software with the ez player...

Finally, ssd comes with a ton of kits: snares, toms, kicks, cymbals, and you can pick and choose what ypu like what you don't like, and build kits and do whatever you want with the samples... which makes it a better buy... because the sampes sound a million times better in my opinion then the toontrack stuff...

But go on the respective sites and listen read and then listen some more and read some more then make a decision...

My vote is ssd + EZ player + ez drummer/ssd grooves + joey stugis samples/slate samples. = everything you'll ever need for programming drums

Will the SSD EX ($79) do the job? I'm not that concerned about sounds since I will be buying Sturgis' samples. $100 + $60 + $50 is a lot cheaper than Platinum :) I don't care about grooves because I'm using programmed drums from Guitar Pro BTW. Also, I know I can "blend" Sturgis and Slate's samples for ridiculously epic sounds that will make wee little children cry. And are Joey's cymbals easily importable into Slate? Or are the cymbals that come with Slate so good I won't need Joey? Actually, is EX going to be good enough that I don't need to buy Sturgis?

Actually let me reword it: Does EX come with Snare 12a and Kick 10 :D

SSD EX comes with kick 10 but not snare 12a. But if you get the SSD Special for $129 you can get two expansion packs. snare 12a is in Pop/Rock Vol. 3.

Meh, I might as well just buy SSD EX for $80 and then Black and Gold or Snare 1 for $5. Are the cymbals in EX good enough that I don't need to buy Sturgis' cymbal samples for studio quality drums?

Meh, I might as well just buy SSD EX for $80 and then Black and Gold or Snare 1 for $5. Are the cymbals in EX good enough that I don't need to buy Sturgis' cymbal samples for studio quality drums?

Joeys sound better but they aren't an absolute necessity... and ex plus the joeys custom snare plus the ez player is all you need...

My vote is ssd + EZ player + ez drummer/ssd grooves + joey stugis samples/slate samples. = everything you'll ever need for programming drums

My vote is "almost any samples" + "learn to fucking midi program" = everything you'll ever need for programming drums.

I mean, I programmed the drums for this in a few hours, I also had to learn and transcribe the song while doing it. Mago added a few things to it tho, like the powermetal part at the solo.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/9699575-post274.html

My vote is "almost any samples" + "learn to fucking midi program" = everything you'll ever need for programming drums.

I mean, I programmed the drums for this in a few hours, I also had to learn and transcribe the song while doing it. Mago added a few things to it tho, like the powermetal part at the solo.

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/9699575-post274.html

lol you think that is anything close to say a MMI, OMAM, or Asking Alex. song (drum) complexity?

and there is a big difference between say slates samples and superiors and an even bigger difference if you using joey's...

lol you think that is anything close to say a MMI, OMAM, or Asking Alex. song (drum) complexity?

and there is a big difference between say slates samples and superiors and an even bigger difference if you using joey's...

well, I also did the Times of Grace drum cover... You can hear the original in the background and on some fills you can hear how I screwed up. But the thing again is, that drum programming is not hard.

And the choice drum samples is purely matter of taste. As long as they sound good in context, it doesn't really matter what you use.

Yeah, it's just it seems any drum samples + good programming SHOULD be good, but doesn't what program I use for the original samples (Even though I'm replacing the samples ...) sort of matter because it keeps in mind left hand, right hand etc etc? Sorry for all the questions - I'm just really trying not to buy anything unnecessary. What someone should really do is make a program where you can build a drumset from .GOG or Kontakt files and it plays your MIDI to you using it. Just decide which sample goes to which midi drum, and voila!
Alas, nothing in life is that simple.