Drum Software

Sep 2, 2010
I don't record real drums (yet) and rely on samples for my demo/pre-pro needs. For the last several years, starting out with budget restrictions, I have been using "Beatcraft" by Acoustica. I'm not sure how I stumbled upon it but it was only $40 for the full version. I've gotten quite a few samples from this forum and am able to achieve some fairly decent and realistic sounding drum tracks. I've gotten pretty good at using the program itself but I'm really not a fan of one huge aspect: it's a standalone application. I have to export each track into my DAW and load them up that way. This is very limiting as I can't change things on the fly like fills, tempos, parts, arrangements and most importantly the actual samples. I feel like some of the benefits of using samples and programming drums in general is lost due to this process.

I know there are many products available now that are used within the DAW (I'm using Reaper currently) allowing more control and options. I'm assuming the only way this is possible is MIDI? I'm curious to know everyone's favorites and why, and also maybe the ones to stay away from. I'd like to be able to, if possible, program chokes, flams, cymbal crescendos...all that nuance type stuff. Also, I'm sure it's a no brainer but I don't want to be limited to included samples, I'd like to be able to use outside samples as well. I've heard good things about the ToonTrack stuff but am open to suggestions. Thanks!

It's all gonna be via MIDI, yeah. EzDrummer or Superior 2 + Made of Metal would be my recommendation.

Nobody has done convincingly automated flams or crescendos; you just have to get good at programming those yourself.

I use SSD4 - but, if SSD4 didn't exist, I would check out BFD3 - steep learning curve, but I think if you're serious about this craft, you'll put the effort in.

Although MIDI programmed drums can be tedious, it can also be a rewarding 'performance' of sorts when you get good at it, or program a beat you weren't expecting or plain experimenting with.

EZ Drummer's the way to go if you're on a budget. To be honest, it could come with more options for the money - the stock drums are awful for metal, you need an extension. I bought the Metal Machine library as well - but it's a decent songwriting tool.

EZ Drummer 2 is out now and seems to be a decent upgrade, but that's what I use and it serves me well for what I do.

The TMF stuff sounds amazing. I'm going to buy this. Accappa, do you have some info about the names of the bands or songs in your videos?

For years and years I used FL Studio in standalone mode and used 1-shot samples for everything, imported into Reaper.....real pain in the ass like you said since you can't change anything on the fly. Picked up one of the SSD 4 packs (I think it was "Essentials" on sale for $20, just a single kit with maybe 2 snares) and it instantly made my mixes better. Then moved on to EZDrummer and Metal Machine. I still get slightly cross-eyed when browsing through Reapers MIDI editor but once you get used to it, it's badass.

The TMF stuff sounds amazing. I'm going to buy this. Accappa, do you have some info about the names of the bands or songs in your videos?

I appreciate a ton those of you who recommend my shit cause it´s fucking difficult for small studios like mine with less than 1K customers to get people to know your stuff.

Those demos on the videos were made by each beta tester, so I don´t know all the bands, I did some of them, which one are you looking for?

I have to say that all the drums on your first video don't really sound like they have much low end Alex, but the second video you linked sounds pretty nice.