Recommended drum software?

Sep 2, 2010
Hey guys, im new the forum and in some respects, new to home recording. I currently am using a PC with a Presonus Firebox and Cubase LE 4. For guitars im using a Line 6 Pocket Pod (which i cant seem to get a tone im really happy with) but at least it allows me to track in an apartment at 3am. If you guys can point me in the direction of a good amp modeling device (i'd prefer external to save cpu room) that would be better than a pocket pod i'd appreciate it.

My real question tho is what is a good drum program to create drum parts with? I currently am using Beatcraft by Acoustica. I downloaded a big collection of samples from this forum, Sneap samples + a bunch extra. The problem though for me is that this program is separate from my DAW (in this case, Cubase). So i end up having to solo and bounce out each part of the kit (kick, snare, hats, etc.) seperately into wav files and then import them into Cubase so i have control over each part of the kit. Otherwise, i can just mixdown all the drums to one drum track and load it that way but then i cant make adjustments to particular parts of the kit. I've noticed some people using EZ drummer and other things. Beatcraft just seems so tedious, i feel like there has to be something easier to use out there that is affordable. I am not recording real drums, this is for demoing ideas (however i do want it to sound as good as possible) and money is a factor. I cant spend $600 on Kontact or anything like that. But maybe $200 i could swing at some point.

Does anyone have pros/cons to what programs they feel would best suit what im trying to achieve given my setup? I thnk i've seen somewhere you can create drums in Cubase but that elludes me and i dont have any midi devices as of yet (tho i plan on getting a keyboard in the near future).

Well the big stand outs around here are Superior and Slate. usually Slate for "Drums" and Superior for Cymbals OH's and "Ambiance". Depending on the sound you are going for of course. I personally just use Slate with the Joey Sturgis Cymbal packs and Lasses Kicks and Snares.

Steven Slate Drums EX. It´s $99, comes with 10 kits and you can expand if you need more kits.
http://www.stevenslatedrums.com/

For the guitars you can get a POD Farm 2 for iLok for $99, or you can get a cheap Line6 interface that comes with it like UX2.
Native Instruments also have a free version of Guitar Rig and yesterday they released the Rammfire model ($59) that MAY be good. Still haven´t checked it yet.

So you're just using slates toms? :lol:

nah im joking, im guessing you blend

Real toms when possible yes :)

For home demos I just use the Slate toms Blended with some of the other tom samples, but when the bands record shit i usually use real toms or blend if needed. I have a shit load of tom samples to choose from, but I try and get as good of a tom sound as possible.

I'm thinking of pretty much the same question, and it's really hard deciding between Slate or SD2. Especially when you can get SSD EX + 2 expansions for 160$, OR Superior Drummer 2 for 150$. I'm thinking SD2 could be better for midi drums, but Slate would be better for replacing recorded drums. What do you think, which one should I get? I'm mostly gonna be using midi drums, but I will have to replace some drums too in the future (well "have to" in the sense that if I don't they'll sound bad).

Edit: Oh right, Superior Drummer 2 is 50% off at Audiomidi http://www.audiomidi.com/cust_search/csr_toon_supdrummer2_083110.aspx that's why it's so cheap.