metal drum sounds with DFH Superior and S2.0

Santuzzo

Jan 19, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Hi,

I'm stil a noob when it comes to recordingm, so please be patient with me:)

I got both DFH Superior and s2.0 and I am wondering how you guys get those drums to sund like metal drums (like the EZDrummer DFH would sound)?
Is it just lots of EQing?
If yes, how and where do you EQ? In the host program?

Will it be possible to get a drum sound with these programs that sounds similar to the EZD DFH kit?

Just started my new recording PC with Cubase Essential 4, POD Studio UX2, Guitar Rig XE3 and Superior 2.0 and I know there is slots I need to learn.

Thanks,
Lars

Just wondering... Do you like the EZD DFH-sound? I really dig the EZD standard Pop/Rock-kit and it is pretty easy to mix it into some Unearth/Devildriver/... direction.

I don't know how much experience you have in using/mixing Toontrack's drum thingys, but IMHO these tools are created with some post processing in mind. That said, you HAVE TO mix the output of the tools. I process kick and snare individually with EQ and compression and a MUST HAVE for my taste is a compressor AND saturator on the drum buss to make these tools kick some serious butt. I use Massey's Tapehead for saturation (VintageWarmer is great, too) and Massey's CT4 or ProTools EQ 3 (you see, nothing fancy) for compression.

if you open NY Avatar in Superior 2.0 and go to settings you can find a bunch of them and one of them is ezdrummer processing on a dry unprocessed kit. Then go to mixer and see what they did on each drum. Ezdrummer and DFH were developed to be used with minimum processing, b/c they are already processed. But if you want to get your own sound you have to process Avatar kit or if you have DFHS then those kits (I like sonor there). Look in Bash my mix forum where people post their mixes and superior settings they used.

Thanks a lot everybody!

I'm still new to all of this, so mixing drums and adding comp EQ, etc is something I have not done beofre. But I have found some presets that show me what changes can be made to make the kit sound metal!

I see that I have a long way to go in learing how to do all of this, but I will dig in!

Lars