Drum Tracking - Headphone Loudness

Melodeath

Moonbow
Feb 6, 2004
Northern VA
This may be a stupid question, but here goes...

So I'm working on a short clip in my home studio. I'm playing both guitar and drums, and doing the vocals. I have the guitars done, and I'm trying to track the drums (one-man band).

What's the best way to track drums without blowing my ears out? I have plenty of gain for my headphones (they go around the ear but they aren't very good at isolation), but my goal is to not ruin my ears just so I can record some drums while still hearing the guitars.

Suggestions?

I think you've already nailed the problem, maybe invest in some Vic Firth Isolation headphones?

yeah so if you've got enough volume to hear the playback over your drums but the overall volume is gonna seriously damage your hearing wear earplugs to bring down the whole level of everything

Well what I meant was, I could have put the guitar loud enough to heear over the drums, but that would have hurt my ears. I dont think ear plugs would lessen the intensity enough to keep my ears safe at that level.

yeah i know thats what you meant- about the getting the guitar volume loud enough. Ear plugs take out like 25-30db of everything so if you wear the phones and protective plugs you should be totally safe and be able to hear the guitars and drums no problem

buy the Skull Candy in ear headphones. Theyre cheap and amazing. I've used alesis, Vic Firth Isolation, Sennheiser and sony head phones and these Skull Candy ones work the best for drums, especially for monitoring for mic placement.

i know dude it seems like ajoke almost but now theyre the only thing i use, i use them for mixing too sometimes haha

The Skull Candy plugs look more or less the same as the Sony ones I use.

EcomProducts%5CImage%5C570000%5C565021.jpg

I've been using the Skull Candy's for a while, was using them for my in-ear monitors when I had them, pretty good isolation.

Wouldn't you get pretty good results by using something like these and covering them with something like those HP-25's?