Drum Tracking Question

Spokid

Feb 24, 2013
I'm going to be recording a band in about a month, and their drummer has a slightly larger kit than I had initially planned for. I tried to track down some gear to handle it, but have so far been unable to. However, I did happen to think of a way I could do it with what I have right now, but I wanted to see if anyone could confirm with me that it would for sure work.

The drummer has 1 kick, 1 snare, 5 toms, and several cymbals. I've been told that he also has triggers and a module for his kick, so I'm curious...would it be possible for me to plug his module into the MIDI in on a Firestudio Project, and mic the rest of the kit (using the mic inputs of the same Firestudio Project), and record everything at the same time in Studio One 2.5? (I would of course have to put an instrument on the kick track to play a sample of a kick, but I don't think they'll mind honestly.)

That's what I thought too, but I went and checked out their band practice last night, and he indeed does use all of them (though some of them much less than others). He was complaining that his trigger system wasn't the greatest, so I predict that I'll be manually adding/moving kicks when it's all recorded, but for the sound I'm shooting for on this recording, I'm really not sure what other option I have.

That's what I thought too, but I went and checked out their band practice last night, and he indeed does use all of them (though some of them much less than others). He was complaining that his trigger system wasn't the greatest, so I predict that I'll be manually adding/moving kicks when it's all recorded, but for the sound I'm shooting for on this recording, I'm really not sure what other option I have.

If that's what you do, make sure to be cautious about your mic placements so you get minimum kick bleed... Otherwise you'll get major problems when you'll move stuff around. I also hope for you that's he's a good and steady drummer who knows how to play on click.

He does play to a click at band practice, so I hope things will be fairly smooth as far as that goes.