Drummers: broken cymbals?

I think reducing the diameter of the cymbal is the best thing u can do. Give it to a person who works on a lathe and he can do it. It's better to lose some character by making a 16" crash from a 17" than losing tonal quality with a crack.

you best bet is to sell all of them together for a cheap price to someone who is just starting to play drums , then buy new ones ..

New cybmbals are always fun and exciting to play!

PM me for MIXING AND MASTERING/PROGRAMING AND REAMPING SERVICES !!

What do you mean by plenty of swing? What size are those cymbals? If they're 16" or smaller and you're constantly hitting them when they're swinging back at your direction (kind of difficult to explain but I hope you understand) that usually breaks the cymbals.

My smallest is 16". I know what you mean though. I don't crank down the felts because that just causes more stress on the impact point due to not being free to move but I have had issues with backswing. Giving it a bit more angle helps. I share my kit with the drummer from my other band though so my setup gets changed every time and I sometimes forget to put it back.

Broken cymbals make killer clocks. Go to a garage sale and get an old clock and put the mechanism in. Same words for cracked or scratched vinyl.

If you're breaking cymbals:

What size sticks are you using?
What angle are your cymbals at on the stand?
How tight is your nut/how many felts are on the top and bottom of the cymbal on that stand?

If you drop a cymbal and have even one tiny crack or dent in it, it's likely it will break.

Did you buy the cymbals new?

If you're playing THAT HARD that you're annihilating cymbals, buy thicker ones.

guitar center usually sucks, but they do offer an extended warranty for an extra $20 or $30 for their cymbals. On tour, i always cracked my cymbals in less than a year or two, so the warranty always benefited me. The way it worked back then was if you cracked the cymbal while still on the manufacturer warranty, the guitar center warranty group would send you a box to put the cymbal in with pre paid shipping to the manufacturer(there is your $20 right there). You would still have your extended warranty through guitar center after this. You would then get a brand new cymbal from the manufacturer.
Now if you crack a cymbal after the manufacturer warranty is up, your 1 year extended warranty with GC came into effect. I've heard of them doing it different ways, but generally they mail you a box, and you put the broken cymbal in it. Then they mail you a guitar center check for the full price you paid for the cymbal(minus tax). Then you can just go to GC, buy another cymbal, and only pay tax and for a new warranty. Easy peasy lemon squeezy

now this was a couple of years ago, so things may have changed

Our drummer buys the warranties when he buys cymbals from GC. For him, he just takes them back to GC and they give him a new one. He still has to pay for an extended warranty on the NEW cymbal they give him, though. the cost of the warranty varies with the price of the cymbal. He's went through 5 or 6 Agazarian small chinas (he likes the sound). Since he knew they were cheap, he would always get the warranty and it was only like 5 or 10 bucks. So he always had a new one. He's since moved to some fancy Paistes though (and no cracks, haha).

Cut the bells out and use them seperatly, thats what I did, it just depends on what cymbal it ais as to wether it sounds good or not

Wuhan china.

You know, these are seriously some of the better sounding chinas I've heard, and considering the price tag.... 0.o

Our drummer got one for like $35, it lasted probably 6-8 months or so, cracked, and he got a Sabian AX 18" china for like $100 and I think it sounds like garbage compared to the the Wuhan.