your thoughts on sampling/programming cymbals and suggestions

Shaun Werle

Dec 30, 2009
Brodheadsville PA
Hey so i am recording this band and the cymbals they had were bad and they didn't come out good. I want to sample/programm them so bad but idk what to do to make it sound well.. not fake (to an extent) I was using some of the samples out the of the SSD Plat just recording with midi each hit with a cymbal bounced and made into wav samples pasted in to the spots where they should be. but they sound sorta fake when going into the next hit, what should i do, make multiple velocity hits or what? Crossfade?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/5865601/gay fghrfhr.mp3
Here's something I legit just did in 20 seconds to show you what i mean, This is not even mixed and idk how the so much verb got on the snare.

But I need help getting some good samples that sound real and good. With some helpful techniques.

Thanks guys

Sorry if this has been posted before, But could someone steer me in the right direction with cymbals, thanks guys!

Why would you make a midi, bounce a single hit, and then place every single hit by hand? Is it not just easier to do the whole thing as a MIDI drum track, and take advantage of velocities, Slate's AMG and round robin samples?

im assuming your system cant handle a full load of midi or something?

and if you MUST use wavs, yes do a couple of different velocities and make two separate tracks for each cymbal.
have the hits alternating between one track then the other and repeat (so each hit has time to decay and isnt cut off)

idk if that work but it seems like it should right?

im assuming your system cant handle a full load of midi or something?

and if you MUST use wavs, yes do a couple of different velocities and make two separate tracks for each cymbal.
have the hits alternating between one track then the other and repeat (so each hit has time to decay and isnt cut off)

idk if that work but it seems like it should right?

That's actually a really good idea, Actually my computer is really powerful i can run have 10 tabs open on the internet, pro tools running itunes open at the same time, and other stuff. i don't usually do this but it's pretty powerful. I am going to sound like a noob here but midi kind of confuses me. I know some stuff on what to do but yeahh.

Also do you use the kontakt player often, what are the advantages of using it? the room settings and stuff? or is it for like Vdrums and jazz?

Why would you make a midi, bounce a single hit, and then place every single hit by hand? Is it not just easier to do the whole thing as a MIDI drum track, and take advantage of velocities, Slate's AMG and round robin samples?

I am going to try and learn to do this, I was reading the booklet with SSD and it told me to make like 11 aux tracks and i am not going to lie i was lost, I could click on the keyboard in kontact and here the sound triggering each drum through the aux tracks but i didn't know how to record them

If all that is needed are cymbal hits, that is easy. You can reroute cymbals to new outputs and have each crash and what not going to its own channel in a mixer. You can trigger it from there with drumagog or similar program and setup multiple samples within that trigger ,to keep it humanized. The SSD help doc's will tell you how to reroute the outputs for each drum in your multi kit. From there you set up the mixer tracks in your daw's input and output to match the i/o your samples are being sent to.

Or you can throw the finished wav on a track, set your daw to the tempo, open your piano roll with appropriate drum wrapper, and map out all the cymbal hits you are dissatisfied with. You can control velocities and get a humanized effect. Hope that helps.

If all that is needed are cymbal hits, that is easy. You can reroute cymbals to new outputs and have each crash and what not going to its own channel in a mixer. You can trigger it from there with drumagog or similar program and setup multiple samples within that trigger ,to keep it humanized. The SSD help doc's will tell you how to reroute the outputs for each drum in your multi kit. From there you set up the mixer tracks in your daw's input and output to match the i/o your samples are being sent to.

Or you can throw the finished wav on a track, set your daw to the tempo, open your piano roll with appropriate drum wrapper, and map out all the cymbal hits you are dissatisfied with. You can control velocities and get a humanized effect. Hope that helps.

Thank you for your suggestions, it is appreciated. I will try this later for sure.

This is a perfect situation where a Korg nanoPAD would come in sooooo handy. Love mine.