Sampling... Amidoingitright?

Lintinanims

Skullet Engineer. METAL!
Mar 20, 2012
Casper Wyoming
Today I was talking with a respected audiophile friend about a track I had recorded drums on. which in the coming weeks will end up in the practice room for mixing practice(WITH REAL DRUMS). Anyhow, he was saying the kick and snare sound like they had some sample blended in.

Now I did not trigger any samples on the bounce whatsoever. But when editing drums there were a few faster parts on the kicks so when he was playing faster, kick kicks weakened. now I would replace the much weaker kicks with kick with sounds from other parts of the song. So my question is... does this count as sampling?

I mean the way I see it you could approach sampling as completely replacement with external triggered samples. Or you could see it as any hit that the original is replaced is sampled. What are you guys's thoughts on this?

Well while that would technically be sampling, it's a lot more authentic than replacing with external samples. And if you didn't have time for re-recording, the replacement you did is the next best thing.

Well for me it is sampling as you replace a part of the performance with a sample taken elsewhere, but in the end, does it really matters if it is sampling or not as long as it sounds good?

Reactions: rapucore
I think I'm going to agree with you guys. It does count as sampling because it was samples pull from elsewhere. not the original sound. Granted I didn't have to do a whole lot and it came out pretty good sounding.
Well for me it is sampling as you replace a part of the performance with a sample taken elsewhere, but in the end, does it really matters if it is sampling or not as long as it sounds good?
Funny, me and Dave came to the same conclusion. Who cares how you got the sound you wanted.. but that you got the sound you wanted.