Drums/Bass Mixing Crit >.<

Vice//Versa

Dude among dudes
May 5, 2013
California
I'm working on a quick sorta breakdown section and i want my bass and drums to be locked in and interact correctly. I'm not sure about the gain staging and how they are currently working together in the mix. What do you guys think? I'd love some outer input! :)

(ps: haven't recorded guitars yet)

http://www.mediafire.com/?i7pi02687ydztcj

I don't know if it's the room mic, OH on the drums or the bass, but something sounds way too "roomy". And snare on the contrary needs more reverb.

Probably the OH, I just started trying to make them sound a bit more natural by using reverb and i think I over did it. I'll try and make them "less roomy", they've become the biggest pain along the snare. Any thoughts on the bass?

As for the bass I think there is a tad to much mids. Try scooping out more in the 200 Hz-1000 Hz area. It's also hard to say without a guitar. But it gels fine with the drums.

I don't like the cymbals, they sound really fake and lifeless. I would like a little more agression in the whole mix, it sounds dull. The top end on the kick is fatiguing even after 30 seconds - be careful. All in all not too bad but room for improvement

Any advice on how to make the cymbals (they're SSD and I know the reputation they get) more "life-like"? what do you mean by "dull" tmitchell33? I thought the guitar and some limiter action would bring to par on the aggression department but I'd appreciate some a clearer idea of what you mean. Thanks for the criticism guys!

I think the SSD cymbals are great! They just need a bit of love! After you have selected the 'best' or most appropriate sounding cymbal I would look to do the following:
(Use plenty of SSD room - especially the snare!)

Use a compressor after your SSD OH's - slow attack and standard release. Only take of a few dB in GR, the import part of this stage is to increase the level of the cymbal sustain and decay so makeup gain is a must.

Use an EQ to shape the cymbals - gently - no drastic nonsense (I like the Waves stuff but any EQ with a nice sound should do the trick).

Optional - use a tape/tube/console emulator to smooth out some of those nasties! (I always use these tools) there are so many different makes / models and they are all great! These are a must for any tool kit.

Now for the biggest improvement! To get a bit off life and avoid the 'dull' and uninspired sound I like to setup a smash track, parallel compression that is pumping. Create sends from all desired sources to create a really aggressive smash track and mix this in. This will give your drums that 'explosive' sound. Experiment with overdrive and EQ - be mindful of latency! The concept is to create an artificial room sound - hence why it is important to include room sounds from your SSD player - without these this technique will not work. I would challenge that most of your drum's qualities are derived from a good 'room' sound.

Other great tools include summing mixer plugins - i love to use distortion on everything - it just seems to bring things out without increasing the level of something. I hope some of these OH processing techniques are helpful, these should be good starting points and you can tweak them from there!