Drums Problem...

Redline4

Jul 8, 2010
Alright, I'm trying to get a fat and meaty drum kit. It may sound good on it's own but when I'm adding guitars and bass to it, there's something really not working.... Maybe EQ, compression, reverb, I don't know.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6729934/pro4DTN.mp3
UPDATED CLIP : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6729934/Pro4UMR2.mp3
They sound artificial right now because I did not take the time to humanize them (velocities, etc) but I just want your opinion overall. I need tips for my OHs and the snare reverb. Of course these are all samples that I found here and there.

Thanks for help!

Sometimes i have the same problem. Drums at their own sound good, nice n powerfull, when i turn up the guitars they suddenly sound weak. High and low pass on the guitars might help. Maybe do a notch at where the drumattack is 6/7k? Other way around might also help. Scoop out on the drums where most of your guitarattack is 2/3k? I am no pro myself, still learning. I did learn that some elements at their own sometimes can sound awesome. But all together ist just crap. Works again the other way around. That for example a guitar lead-in sounds weak to ok-ish, but when the rest drops in you get a kick in the face.

I know what you mean. It's strange, sometimes soloed your guitars may sounds realllly bad but in the mix eveything will sound ok. It's a balance of every elements that will make a good mix..

Anyone else ? I just want to know what's wrong with them and why they won't fit in a mix...

The kick is way too thin. All I hear on my monitors is a tiny little papery click. Take out a lot of the click, bring it up and throw in mid and low-end. Snare needs some 'verb and less compression. Cymbals need 'verb, less high end, more mid-range and humanization.

Thanks so much oroinvictus, that's what I wanted to hear. Well I don't have monitors, just some poor computer speakers and a sub.. Would that be the reason why it sounds beefy to me ? Should I mix without my sub?

Yes, try mixing without your sub first, then throw your sub back in and listen to it. If you have a car with an audio system, listen to that, too. Different speakers and setups will all influence your mix.

Oh man, I totally didn't read that you didn't humanize anything yet. Sorry about that.
EDIT: lol hivemind post. The second sample is a lot better, I would say is pull some 2-500hz to taste out of the kick, on my monitors it's just over the verge of being 'whoofy' in the low-end. Aside from that, this sounds sweet.

Thanks man, you helped me pretty much with this because I'm a complete beginner and I learned so much on this forum. I'll post a clip with gtrs and bass asap (when I'll get myself one of those cheap-bass-that-makes-the-job).