DT, type of music

strix

Oct 16, 2001
I know i sound really dumb asking this, espically since i have been listening to DT for a far while now and are my favoite band.

But does any one know what type of Metal there classed as?

Classifcation doesn't really ever bother me but i really do feel i should know, I know they started as, well were refered to as Black Metal but what are they.

Sorry for asking such a silly question.

:mad: :mad: :confused: :mad: :mad:

they are often referred to as gothenburg metal (that's where they are from), just like at the gates or in flames. beat me if i am wrong.

To sum up both phyre and Vulture.. isn't that the New Wave Of Swedish Death Metal (NWOSDM)? :) Well that's how that "melodic death metal" is called.. named after the groups' "birthplace" (all these bands are swedish)

I've always considered them as the archetype (er, sorry but I couldn't find a better term) of melodic death metal, the comparation term for anyone else trying to play m.d.m.

Alfred

No, really, they DO have a great gothic metal influence. The clean voice is an indicator, as their imagery and overall feel. I don´t think they have anything to do with traditional Death Metal, at least in the last couple of albums. It´s natural that people categorize them into the enourmous Death Metal category. Their lyrics and philosophy have little to do with it, IMHO, though. Even their appearance is more gothic-esque than death-esque.

HE HE HE... I think you need to hear more gothic metal.

No, I think you need to hear more Dark Tranquillity... just joking. The Gothic movement is not limited to metal, and I listened to gothic music before I even knew Metal deeply. But don´t get me wrong, they have some form of Death Metal agressive sound in there, but if you look at the whole picture, their melodic sound and lyrics and women singing and other stuff - it´s typical gothic stuff.

In these sites you´ll see them associated with Gothic Metal (as well as with death metal):

http://www.chedsey.com/list/dark_t.htm
http://www.dusk.karoo.net/loudplanet/reviews_darktranq1.htm
http://www.metal-observer.de/gb/reviews/rev109.html

Originally posted by Alexandre
No, really, they DO have a great gothic metal influence. The clean voice is an indicator, as their imagery and overall feel. I don´t think they have anything to do with traditional Death Metal, at least in the last couple of albums. It´s natural that people categorize them into the enourmous Death Metal category. Their lyrics and philosophy have little to do with it, IMHO, though. Even their appearance is more gothic-esque than death-esque.
No, I think you need to hear more Dark Tranquillity... just joking. The Gothic movement is not limited to metal, and I listened to gothic music before I even knew Metal deeply. But don´t get me wrong, they have some form of Death Metal agressive sound in there, but if you look at the whole picture, their melodic sound and lyrics and women singing and other stuff - it´s typical gothic stuff.

Who said they're "death metal"? We are all talking about NWOSDM or "melodic death metal" or whatever. It's TOTALLY different than "classic" death metal, and that's what DT is all about, pretty clearly on the first 3 albums. It's true they've changed a lot since then. They probably got nothing to do with even the broader meaning of "death metal" right now. They've implemented some "gothic" influences in their music (just like Paradise Lost did on their earlier stuff), but I think they're barely recognizable, especially by a new listener. I see you are a gothic fan and I don't wanna get you wrong or something, just my thoughts on the subject...
There are a lot of METAL bands out there with melodic parts and female vocals.. that doesn't mean they're all gothic metal, even if a lot of them are..
DT IS IN NO WAY GOTHIC METAL.. (Day To End is kinda goth-ish though.. huh? :p)

i also listen to lots of gothic-something stuff (especially not metal), and i only hear distant gothic influences on projector.
some sombre melodies and those deep clean vocals just hint at bands like sisters of mercy and the like, but i feel there's absolutely no ground to call dt anything else but melodic death metal when it comes to everything preceeding and following projector. no gothic-anything can be as fast as skydancer/the gallery nor as compact as the mind's i/haven.

rahvin.

gothic would as well be the last category i would put dt in. in my opinion gothic metal bands are slow, use quite a lot of keyboards and female vox in between. bands that spring to my mind are crematory, tiamat (others won't put them in the gothic genre though) or earlier paradise lost. and compared to dt... well they have very few things in common.

OK, I see your point and I admit I was pulling DT to the gothic side of things a little bit too much. It´s my personal view of the band that makes me think this, and thus differently, and thus... a little bit wrong, I guess.

I see you are a gothic fan and I don't wanna get you wrong or something, just my thoughts on the subject...

No, I´m not a gothic fan, just happened to like a few gothic bands in the past (Sisters of Mercy, Fields of the Nephilim, Paradise Lost, etc.). I can´t just embrace one kind of music, it´s against my nature;)

In all truth, I didn´t even acknowledge the existence of a NWOSHM... a few great bands from that area of the globe today, that´s true.

I agree more with TheMindzI. No wonder why...
Why is that, Siren?

I just offered some social service. I felt like it was my duty :)
Well Siren was in great luck I guess :p I wish I'd started listening to metal with DT and Opeth... I envy her now :)

I thought the oskars were on the NP thread :confused:

:loco: :loco: :loco:

Edit: damn, i lost my 500th somewhere (this is 503) :D