Dt's stance on...?

PrimalZeal

New Metal Member
Dec 17, 2005
First of all I'd just like to point out that this band kicks serious ass. So much, that I've indeed considered buying a T-shirt from them but before that - I'd like to know what stance DT has on people downloading their music over the internet illegally? Do they condemn, not mind, or welcome the matter? Thanks.

i'm not speaking on behalf of the band, but - from what i gathered through years of knowing them and from what can be read in many interviews - i believe they do not think that file sharing is detrimental to their lives as musicians. there clearly can be situations where an artist suffered from it, and as long as something is illegal they certainly won't advise doing it. but for bands with the kind of audience dt have, it seems safer to say that the number of people who would download their music instead of buying the record is not, as of now, very significant.

This will be debated until the end of time.

Smaller bands (Like pretty much anyone in the metal scene) should benifet from file-sharing because honest band-loving fans WILL go and buy albums from bands they have learnt about from file-sharing. I have. If I didn't download music I wouldn't own 3/4 of the CDs that I do now (and continue to buy).

I think the only real big deal there is about this are groups and bands that huge record companies depend on to generate them money. Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, Metallica, etc.

When do you ever hear about a 23 year old man being busted for having the entire Grave, Blood Throne, Dark Tranquillity and Hypocrisy discography on his computer. Ehhh probably never because he isn't making an impact to the record labels that "matter".

i'd go all the way and say that the only thing that really harms the music industry are fake copies of original records made of downloaded mp3s re-decompressed into .wav files. the kind that questionable people and stores will sell to the hapless customer as if they were the real thing.

to my knowledge, there are studies, too, proving that file-sharing is not in itself harmful to the music industry in any other way. many record labels, in my opinion, are trying to cash in on the "let's stop the thieves" trend for as long as possible, before the predictable end of such lawsuits once they reach the higher level of constitutional courts.

the evidence on the monetary impact of p2p on the music industry is, so far, inconclusive: rahvin is right. it is a typical game-theoretical problem, only nobody knows the odds that go into each cell. i have in my heart to write something on the subject, but never really got around to doing it.

p2p entails in a financial gain for the industry, the artists, etc at the cost of the recording industry losing control of what type of music people purchase - but that's another debate.
I was wondering about DT's stance on the subject as I refuse to sponsor any band who stands behind the RIAA or any other anti-piracy organizations.
So from what I've gathered, though they have no official stance, it's rather safe to say they don't mind?

Of course the big corporations are trying to control what music you buy. But holy hell! As long as free thinking individuals exist (Like us) they'll never win with the shit they release.

Well, i read somewhere something that stuck on my mind and which i consider to be true. Bands like Dark Tranquillity don't aim their music for the masses, they aim their music for a relatively small population of people (with very good taste, might i add). So a couple of people downloading a couple of songs shouldn't really mean much of a problem. Besides, and for the reason mentioned above (they aim their music for relatively small population groups), some albums/eps/singles are sometimes hard to get (for instance, i've never seen the digipaks / special editions on sale in Mexico), so downloading is a must-do for the kind of fan who likes to have all of his favorite band's songs on his computer / cd player.

In an interview, Mikael had mixed feelings over illegal downloading of their songs over the internet. He mentioned that downloading songs from their band may be a good tool of promotion, but at the same time some unserious music journalist can distribute the entire album over the internet and ruin the surprise of the album before the album becomes officially released.
The interview video used to be here:
http://www.geocities.com/gentlestormx/vid.htm

PM me if you want to see the video.