Feb 13, 2010
Berlin
www.soundcollab.com
Hi,
little question...

I want to use this chain:

Guitar / Reamp --> Maxon OD --> Mesa Rackmount --> Slave / Send --> Saffire 56

There are two problems:

1. The FX Send or Slave Out are not working when the Amp is on standby. This means I must always go through a cab and the output level depends on the master---> although have to turn it loud.

2. When I turn the amp on, there is a hughe hum on the signal going in the interface. The hum on the Slave is comes when the powercable is plugged in and the FXsend not until the amp is on. Tomorrow I will test if this could fixed with a DI-Box on lift.

Any opinions on solve this problems?

Thanks.

You could get a dummy load or build one yourself. If you won't crank the power amp you can just put two 4,7 ohm 25 watt resistors in series, mount them in a small metal enclosure you'd use for a DIY stomp box. But this is a purely resistive load, so it won't sound quite the same as with your speakers connected to the amp. Assuming the slave out is taken from the speaker jack with a voltage divider as it usually is I think. A reactive load like Weber Mass or THD Hot Plate might sound a bit better, but I've had great results with a resistive load.

Ground lifting will most likely solve the issue with hum.

The hum problem solved with a Palmer PDI-01. All fine!
But nevertheless the FX-Loop have to be modded........:Smug:

The 2-channel is fairly simple to mod I guess.

If this schematic is correct, you can just unsolder the wire going to the left tab on your mix pot, put some electric tape on it, then remove the wire from right tab and solder it to the wiper on mix pot. Now the mix pot is not in use and the loop is in series. You can still use send to control loop level.

http://www.freeinfosociety.com/electronics/schematics/audio/pictures/mesaboogiedualrectifier3.gif

If you do this yourself, make sure you can remember how to put it back to stock if you need to.

There's a thread about this mod on Boogie Board: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=28828

I'm getting my Rev G next week, probably need to mod it too, as digital effects sound awful on bypass with a parallel loop...