Reaper send fx problem...

Scottxx

Apr 23, 2009
Hi guys, my question is this, may be an idiot question for someone but I need to understand this.

If I own two guitar tracks with 4 plugins in each channel for example:

guit1: th2 -> breverb -> Nomad Magnetic -> Compressor
guit2: TS808 -> X30 -> Lecab2 -> Nomad Magnetic -> Exciter

And both channels have the same Nomad Magnetic settings. How can I send them to an fx bus to use it only with one instance of it? The problem is that it is in the middle of the chain. Can I obtain in guit1: th2 -> breverb -> (send to fx bus with Magnetic) -> Compressor ? And guit2: TS808 -> X30 -> Lecab2 -> (send to fx bus with Magnetic) -> Exciter ?

So I need to know how can I send part of the chain to an fx buss but return it to get the fx of its own channel (guit1) because the rest of the fx channel is different from the one at channel 2 (guit2).

Thank you!

I don't know if this is possible in any DAW to be honest. What you might be able to do is put the guitar tracks in a folder with Magnetic > Compressor > Exciter on the folder track but set the compressor to receive and output only channel 1 and the excited to receive and output only channel 2 from Magnetic. This will only work if the guitars are hard panned though and only of Magnetic is a proper stereo plugin that handles both sides independently.

Really though it's not worth the hassle just do it the way you are doing it, it shouldn't be the deal breaker in CPU usage... The extra routing would probably use as much CPU as the plugin.

if the plugin is going to be processing the two channels independently anyway, then you're not really saving anything.
A stereo instance of a plugin has to instantiate two separate signal paths internally anyway, the difference between that and having two seperate instances is going to be negligible in most cases.

Thank you guys. But it is not a bad idea what I said isn't it ? For example for mono sources like this example.

But Melodeath, imagine you have 10 channels with a block of, for example, 3 plugins with the same settings in the middle of the fx chain. I think it will be awsome to have like a new vst in the list named "to bus x" and then the fx chain continous with the next fx in the channel. So any channel that use that fx bus can be added as a new vst in the chain wherever you need it and then continues with its own fx.

I don't want to make things difficult, just with my humble audio work I see that something like this will be great.

Well, sure that's cool, but that's almost asking for all plug-in developers to re-design their plug-ins to receive unlimited channels and process them independently haha

Remember, certain effects will react different if they are receiving a single signal, versus a sum of signals. Putting a tape plugin on 10 channels and then summing them will be different than summing 10 channels and putting them through the plug-in.

Unless you mean some sort of FX Multi-Buss that knows to (in a hidden-way) instantiate as many copies of the plug-in as needed to handle all the channels being sent to it.