dualies

luke

Messianic Subliminal Mind
May 2, 2001
Soapland
Visit site
We have the history of growly vocals, but there is another element that makes the metal we now know and love so grand. Dual bass.
Going through my CD collection now that I'm home, I decided to ry and find the first album with double kick bass drums. First checking death, then going bck into the days of thrash metal... I thought Sacrifice was going to win with 1987's Forward to Termination, but it turned out that Slayer takes the prize for my meager collection with Reign in Blood from 1986. Can anybody find an album with dualies dating before Reign in Blood?

Anyways.... I'm off into town to pawn off some of my sister's country western CDs. hehehh, gotta feed the habit somehow.

Of course there was Metallica's Kill 'Em All in 1981!!! I am POSITIVE there was something before them...just can't think of what. Venom probably did...

Venom, if they used double bass, then it was probably the most out of time, horribly played double bass ever! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Didn't John Bonham or Keith Moon experiment with that stuff though?

Your right Sadistik, there were definately some guys in the 70's that did that. I think Genesis (Phil Collins) used some...I am not too sure though...heh Venom or Bathory \m/

this is a very difficult question, because right before the developement of double bass pedals or using 2 bass drums it was common to have the floor tom of the set tuned down so that it nearly met the tone of a bass drum. the technique was to hit the tom with your right hand as you would normally do on hi-hat, and with your right foot punching the notes which nowadays are done with the left foot. back then the left foot played the hi-hats...
so you can't really distinguish single bass drum / double just from the sound...

Actually, the first double bass drummer was a jazz dude, before metal was even a bastard glimmer in the eye of music. Can't seem to recall his name at the moment, though.