Dubstep recommendations anyone?

Felix Neumann

Sep 14, 2008
Germany
www.youtube.com
Hi Guys :)

I wanna dive into this genre a bit more, so if anyone can give me a recommendation of real good produced Dubstep artists, this would be so cool!

What kind of gear (VSTs?) would you recommend to produce stuff like that?

Greetings,

Felix

501 ( ), Kill The Noise ( ), Flux Pavilion ( ), Zomboy ( ), Ordure ( ). You could also try Noisia, KOAN Sound, Billain, Culprate, Audio and Xilent, all of whom don't primarily work with dubstep but do terrific sound design work.

Regarding VSTs, it depends on the kind of sound you're going for. FM Synthesizers are popular, and so is the NI Massive: at the end, you'll have to spend a while working on learning sound design regardless of the synth you want to use. You might want to look into Bass Resampling tutorials on youtube, stock up on sample/loop packs for drums and prepare yourself for a change in mindset regarding production if you didn't work with electronic music before, because it is quite different from writing "organic" music.

If there's anything specific you need to know, I'll be happy to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Massive is the go-to for all serious electronic music synthesisers but Reason is a good starting point for learning to use automation within a synthesiser.
I used reason making this track but never had the patience to learn enough about Massive to be able to use it well enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow thanks mates! I really liked the 'Kill the voice' video. So creative and what a great production! This is kind of new territory for me, but I'm looking forward to experiment a bit with it.

Just listening to your song Pman, very cool stuff! I like the idea mixing Metal and Dubstep. Apparently we're living in an insane sience fiction world and no genre embodies this kind of crazyness better than Dubstep hahaha :)

Dubstep sound design learning takes time just like learning to mix tracks... you learn new stuff as you go and it never stops.
From my part NI Massive is totally one of the best VSTi for that.

Dubstep sound design learning takes time just like learning to mix tracks... you learn new stuff as you go and it never stops.
From my part NI Massive is totally one of the best VSTi for that.

Okay, that's cool! Learning new stuff is always appreciated. I'm gonna try the demo versions of your recommendations and decide then.

Thanks for your help @all!

Good to see you around Felix! :)

*waaaaa wopwopwop wop wop wooooooooop* (yeah that are my dubstep sounds :lol:)

I like the sounds...it sounds kind of brutal. I wanna learn to work with it, so I can use it for my own ideas.

In that case just download 20 dubstep preset sets for NI Massive and don't bother with dubstep itself. Then find out how to incorporate those sounds into your own music.

Dubstep is dead as a singular style and on its way out as a hybrid style. So unless you really, really, really LOVE those sounds: you are 2 years too late.

In that case just download 20 dubstep preset sets for NI Massive and don't bother with dubstep itself. Then find out how to incorporate those sounds into your own music.

Dubstep is dead as a singular style and on its way out as a hybrid style. So unless you really, really, really LOVE those sounds: you are 2 years too late.

It's all about creativity and fun. I don't know where this leads to, playing around with dubstep sounds may be a starting point. 2 years to late? I don´t care.

Thanks @all for your suggestions! :)

Most of the bollocks linked in this thread isn't even dubstep. It's brostep, and it was shit even 2 years ago.

Checkout the stuff on Chestplate; real fucking dubstep. None of that Skrillex shite.

It's all about creativity and fun. I don't know where this leads to, playing around with dubstep sounds may be a starting point. 2 years to late? I don´t care.

That's my point exactly: if it's about creativity and fun then DON'T listen to any dubstep but just use the 1000 sounds you can find everywhere. That way you'll be less likely to just copy what everyone else has been doing since 2008 and what everyone is getting bored by. Cause even if it is new to you, the general public will think "old shit" if it sounds too much like something they heard in 2010. Kinda what you think about the new Dream Theater album in the other thread :)

Also: drew_drummer is right about the difference between Dubstep and Brostep. What you are probably looking for is the latter (Skrillex, Excision, etc) which is what most people call "Dubstep" these days.